PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question..

6.5guy
11-26-2010, 17:54
I've been told that a 6.5 where the exhaust manifold bolts to the head, there is no exhaust gasket. I can get a set of exhaust gaskets for my truck. would i be able to get by putting in an exhaust gasket? I've worked on a 6.5 head with an exhaust gasket on it(head was off the truck, so was the manifold, it was for an overhaul project at college).

Robyn
11-26-2010, 19:07
These are supposed to me gasket free (Metal to metal)

Robyn

AllThumbs
11-27-2010, 02:47
No such thing as a stupid question. If you don't ask and do it wrong, you are going to have to live with it. Better to ask than be sorry. That is stupid. :D

Big Green
11-29-2010, 10:49
Here is my take on it.... when the engine was new and everything was perfectly flat and straight they didn't need a gasket.

Once it had seen a bunch of heat cycles and things weren't as flat the gasket helps keep things sealed up.

I've not seen any gm iron to iron's with gaskets, gas or diesel.

As far as if I'd use them, for the most part yes. It's mostly just easier than having to take it back apart to fix.

Robyn
11-29-2010, 12:46
I have never found an exhaust gasket that fit correctly.

The last manifold I had that did not fit right got set up in the Bridgeport and a light cut (.010") taken off the manifold.

I first clamped the manifold down on the table and then spotfaced all the bolt lugs so they were all the same height,

Then I used some machined spacers to allow the manifold to clear the table.
Then I indicated the thing and took a cut on it.

Works really great to save the manifold.

Missy

6.5 Detroit Diesel
11-29-2010, 18:55
like many here, i have put the manifolds back on without using gaskets. metal to metal is probably the most common and the easiest way to go. balancing a gasket while bolting up the manifold can cause more headache then it's worth. ;)