PDA

View Full Version : code 35??

94 GMC 6.5
11-03-2010, 21:55
Hello, new to this, but old to the 6.5 wonderful mysteries. I have been fighting the thought of changing out the IP for a long time. I continue to get code 35, and a ses light, only when cold and continues to get worse the colder it gets. Seems to send the ses light in all gears under light load, let off foot and light goes away. I have done all the typical check and replace, pmd nightmares ext... Narrowed down to internal seloniod on IP, here is the thing it runs great other than the ses light,,, BUT,,, it starts unbelievably hard,

I mean real hard, checked glow plugs, relay ect....I have read all the posts I can and cant conclude that it is the pump, I really dont want to change if I dont have to. Any help with code 35 would be much appreciated. thanks,,,,94 6.5 TD 195k 5spd 4x4

suburbanK-2500HD
11-04-2010, 10:45
Look at this picture, it might help :)

Robyn
11-04-2010, 11:32
How old is the PMD and whos PMD is it (stanadyne or Dtech) ?????

Many times the PMD can be only 6 months or so old and start causing issues like this.

The hard starting may well be a PMD taking a poop.

The DTC 35 can definately set with a PMD thats getting ready to take the final plunge.

Before you swap the IP out try changing the PMD and adding some fuel treatment to the fuel.

Try a PMD first, if no change, add some conditioner or 2 cycle oil (quart to a tank full of fuel)

If the oil makes a difference then its most likely the IP going away.

The one factor that makes me suspicious is the hard starting.

try a different PMD and let us know what shakes out.

Missy

94 GMC 6.5
11-04-2010, 22:44
Thanks for responses, really appreciated. I am trying to locate a scanner that can read values while depressing pedal. It makes me think though that the end result of this test is either a bad selenoid, PMD or PCM,,, other posts have talked about fixing grounds, I wonder especially with the PCM if this could be the cause. Easy check..
I have a stanyadane PMD, I had a no start code 35,and 36 and others, I changed out the PMD fixed 3 months later same problem, different PMD x3 "yes it is relocated" and the problem was fixed except code 35. I figure at least it starts 'sort of' and does run well otherwise so I stopped changing PMD's. I have a spare, will try, never know. I also will try the 2 stroke in the fuel. I have run conditioner does not seem to help.
If I do replace the IP is the dynamic timing really necessary? again thanks for help

Robyn
11-05-2010, 07:39
With that many PMD changes, fairly good bet that the IP is on the skids.

How many miles on the IP ???

With the hard start issue it sure points that way.

Missy

rameye
11-06-2010, 13:40
If I do replace the IP is the dynamic timing really necessary? again thanks for help

Yes for the best performance, timing performed with the appropriate device is highly reccomended, there is an acceptable range, like any engine.

However up until the time you can have that done, you can wing it by scribing the marks. I got within 0.25 base timing by scribing the marks.

If you go outside of tolerance you will set a code, and it will go into default mode.

good luck