PDA

View Full Version : turbo whistle

piersbc
08-30-2004, 11:33
This weekend I pulled up next to a Ford Diesel and when it took off I could hear the whistle of the turbo very clearly. I've never heard that on my 6.5. Is there something not right?

Dvldog 8793
08-30-2004, 13:50
Howdy
My truck has 3.5" open exhaust and a "un-adjusted" 3" downpipe. also a UNI air filter. I can hear the whistle VERY clearly. Both from the pipe and in the cab.
If you have a soot-trap that will hold back allot.
L8r
Conley Janssen

Chad Mac
08-30-2004, 14:11
Dvldog is right. The Fords come with bigger exhaust from the factory so it's probably easier to hear them. Also, the actual part that does the whistling (the turbo) is a lot bigger and pushes twice the amount of psi's ours pushes. My truck is completely stock and I can't ever hear mine except in 5th gear when I stomp the gas. That's ok, our trucks are quieter and CHEAPER than theirs.

ttpost
08-30-2004, 14:18
I just replaced my waste gate system with a turbo master and installed a boost gauge. i run up to 7 psi boost so i know the turbo is working but i cant hear mine either. :confused: ;)

catmandoo
08-30-2004, 15:23
if you must hear it run a straight pipe from the turbo to the tailpipe,then you'll here that baby scream

jspringator
08-30-2004, 16:05
The only time I hear mine is when a hose slips off in the intake path! It sure did sound good though, until I figured out why I was hearing it.

Keith Richards
08-30-2004, 17:49
I could barely hear the turbo until I did the 4" exhaust system.It's much clearer now,but still not as loud as a ford.As posted earlier,turbo is smaller ad much less boost.

charliepeterson
08-30-2004, 18:50
I've got JK's system front to back and have NO problem hearing my "whistle".

99gmccrew
08-31-2004, 07:21
I've got a 4" exhaust and the jk boost controller.
I get much higher boost pressures now. Once boost gets over 6psi I can really hear the turbo working. No soot trap, gm-8 turbo.

Peter J. Bierman
08-31-2004, 14:36
I bet my turbo's sing louder than any Ford,
When idling I hear a slight whistle, but if I hit the throttle the scream like those big rig engines exept they spool up faster :D

Peter

markrinker
09-01-2004, 06:05
I get the 'thumbs up' regularly from people that end up on the passengers side of my truck under full pedal acceleration. Occassionally, I get the 'other salute' from low slung cars with open windows. They get a cab full of black diesel smoke off the green light!!!

One cool summer night, a couple riding their Harley kept hanging in my blind spot while I was motoring hard with a full load in the left lane of the interstate. I could see them talking between themselves, and figured out why...

She wanted him to stay there next to my exhaust because it was keeping her legs warm!!!