PDA

View Full Version : Vibration/clunk in steering

Spoolmak
10-28-2010, 16:07
The 2004 truck has developed a 'slight clunky' sound in the front end when making a slow right turn. I can feel it in the steering wheel. I don't think it is the CV joint. My sense is it is coming from the steering box or the area just to the right of it. There is no sign of it turning left or going straight forward. The truck points well with no 'wandering' at all speeds.

I've got 98,000 miles and the front end still has all original parts on it.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Tor

drcook
10-28-2010, 17:28
maybe the intermediate steering shaft ? mine went bad, had to be replaced, I could feel a vibration through the steering wheel. the one on my 07 Ranger went bad, and it had a "slight clunky" feeling in it.

that is what I would check first. GM pickups are notorious for this.

Roy W
10-28-2010, 17:44
After the dealer replaced the intermediate steering shaft on my truck twice, my clunk came back. While browsing Through "that other Diesel forum" with a similar name, I came across a discussion on clamping a 1 1/2" muffler clamp around the white plastic bushing that extends from the bottom of the steering column. (above the brake pedal). Actually all it does is squeeze the bushing a little tighter on the steering shaft. Agreed, this is only a temporary fix, but it works if there is up and down play where the steering shaft comes out of the bottom of the column. GM must know about this, as the replacement bushing is green and supposedly made of some tougher stuff. Only tighten the clamp enough to eliminate the play, as overtightening it can crack the bushing. I tried "the fix" and it has eliminated all my steering clunk for 10,000 miles, cost about two bucks and took about 5 minutes.....Worth a try.

Spoolmak
10-28-2010, 20:40
Reading the posts about 'steering shaft' replacements due to 'rattle' , I'm now wondering if that is what I have. But why would it only rattle on right turns????

Mmmhhh. Feels like the dealer is going to get some more of my hard earned money.

Tor

:-(