PDA

View Full Version : Stanadyne Shennanigans: PMD Connectors

Stratosurfer
10-09-2010, 06:35
All,
I a separate thread and further research I've discovered that ALL new Stanadyne IP's come with a harness to their new Grey in color PMD, and the connector on the harness is incompatible with the Flight Systems (Dipaco, DST, and other brand names) as well as the old defective PMD from Stanadyne.
So if you order a new IP for your 94-99 6.5TD you will get an IP with the new PMD and different connector.
It seems Stanadyne was not willing to give up the PMD business to Flight Systems and have redesigned their old PMD in some way they feel will make it last. HOWEVER I've heard of -no- failures on the Flight Systems PMD's, of which I have one each of my 6.5's. and you will have to use their new Stanadyne PMD on the IP, irrespective of whether you have the Flight Systems PMD remote mounted or not.
Here is the crazy thing: I instructed my mech to pull the PMD on the new IP and put it in the glove box and connect to my Flight Systems PMD mounted behind my bumper, which he did. Apparently the connectors to the extension harness were compatible and the truck runs fine. I'm am curious if this is a -stable- connection between the new pump's harness and my old remote cable to my Flight System PMD: it all seems to work.
You CANNOT plug an old PMD or the Flight System PMD into a new Stanadyne IP, nor can a new gray Stanadyne PMD be plugged into an old pump or remote harness end.
Stanadyne has struck at us again!
How can we solve this situation?

Hubert
10-09-2010, 07:09
Email Dtech and see if they are working on an adapter plugsince they appear to maybe have the largest share of aftermarket rebuilds. Shouldn't be too hard to adapt (just money) could make 2 versions: OLD IP to newer FSD then new IP to old plug and could adapt either way.

I remember the search for the female PMD/FSD plug and its proprietary so it takes some investment to make a copy. Heath used a straight pin and reversed a female gm connection iirc. Maybe something like that would work. GM might also in the future offer an adapter they don't seemed to have much love for Stanadyne anymore.

Its probably too new to affect enough people for the aftermarket to address just yet. Heath may be the first and only to ever market one since he is kinda banking on the 6.5 market.

There are a few other vendors that do theses type of specialized things too might contact some to inquire about ideas.

Yukon6.2
10-09-2010, 08:23
Hi
Stratosurfer i hade a Dtech/Flightsystems unit fail in a very short time and very little milage,just recived the warrenty unit in the mail.There has been a couple more reported on this site,and aperantly a few more reported on another site.Seems like it's not the easyest piece of electronic wizardry to build a reliable unit.It will be interesting to see how well the newest offering from stanadyne holds up.My brother got a warrenty pump on his 2000 with the grey FSD which the dealer mounted on his remote cooler,he keeps his Dtech as a spare now,so mabey it will provide some time line as to the durability of the grey unit in the great white north.
Thomas

Stratosurfer
10-09-2010, 08:36
Yukon,
Well, I suppose I should restate on the Dtech Failure issue: After multiple failures on Stanadynes OEM PMD I've had no issues on two vehicles in 2 years with the Dtech PMD. That I can state in fairness, and I've been idling in some tough Texas heat in city traffic for long periods, where I believe the 'stretching' on the circuits begins, and mine seem to be bullet-proof (knocking on wood while typing).
The problem you might not understand is that the connectors are incompatible, the new Stanadyne Gray PMD connector will not plug into the far end of the remote harness. Not without an adapter that currently is apparently not available.
In my case: I hoped to keep the removed PMD (New OEM Gray Stanadyne) as a backup, but it will not plug in to the far end of my remote harness, I would have to unplug at the close end near the pump and plug it in there.
Which brings up the other issue: why does my old remote mount harness work on the new IP's end (female on the harness to the pumps male), HOWEVER the old IP's will NOT plug into this same harness coming from the pump!
I think if we can, we should demand the distributors to put the Dtech PMD on the new IP's forcing them to put on the old connector at the OEM level: at least they should give us the option to have a connector for the Dtech PMD.

JohnC
10-09-2010, 19:06
There is a short wiring harness that connects to the PMD on one end and to the vehicle wiring harness and fuel solenoid on the other end. New PMD's from Stanadyne come with the new harness. D-Tech and old Stanadyne PMD's use the old harness. New Pumps come with the new harness and the new PMD.

When they installed the new pump with the D-Tech PMD they must have used the old harness. If you want to use the new Stanadyne PMD you'll need the new harness.

Stratosurfer
10-10-2010, 06:30
When they installed the new pump with the D-Tech PMD they must have used the old harness. If you want to use the new Stanadyne PMD you'll need the new harness.

The new Stanadyne IP installed on my Burb -has- the new harness coming from the pump, yet my old remote extension harness apparently plugged into it. Even though my female end of the old remote extension harness replicates the old PMD style connector, it still plugged into the new harness on the IP. BUT, the new Stanadyne Gray PMD will NOT plug into the old harness.

I feel like I'm going insane here describing this over and over so I'll let you folks experience this issue first hand: an adapter will have to be mfgd.

racer55
10-10-2010, 08:22
Go on ebay and search for item #270529582622
it should solve your problem.

phantom309
10-10-2010, 10:03
take a look at the plug that plugs into the pmd's,. if you trim off the guide rails on the plug,. it'll plug into any pmd,. ;)

Nick

Stratosurfer
10-10-2010, 10:05
Go on ebay and search for item #270529582622
it should solve your problem.

Racer,
Thanks for finding this. I don't believe it will however solve -all our- problem. The only way this harness helps is if you choose to use the new Gray Stanadyne PMD that is coming with the new IP's. If, as I choose, we desire to use the Dtech PMD, that harness will not work.
This is the issue: the new IP's connectors are incompatible with Dtech's PMD and the old Stanadyne PMD's.
Stanadyne has stepped in to recoup lost business by ensuring only their new and hopefully improved PMD will work with their new IP's.

HOWEVER: As stated numerous times earlier: my old extension harness mated to the Dtech PMD did connect to the new connector on my new IP. I can't understand how this is working.

Nuff said, the problem will be evident to all shortly.

racer55
10-10-2010, 10:48
The only other option would be to contact Leroy @ PMD Cable and make your concerns known.
I expect he would make a cable that suits your needs and market it if demand was high enough.

JohnC
10-10-2010, 11:06
Maybe I just don't get it, but, if you buy a new PMD from stanadyne, it comes with a new harness, so you can use it one either a new or an old style pump.

According to your experience, you can use the new pump [harness] with an old style extension harness, so the D-tech works with both old and new pumps. (Even if this were not true, the only thing you'd need to do is switch the old harness from the old pump to the new pump.)

So, old pumps work with both D-Tech and Stanadyne new PMD's and new pumps work with both D-Tech and Stanadyne new PMD's.

What am I missing?

Is the connection where your D-tech harness plugs into the new pump harness weather tight?

Stratosurfer
10-10-2010, 11:13
The only other option would be to contact Leroy @ PMD Cable and make your concerns known.
I expect he would make a cable that suits your needs and market it if demand was high enough.

It'll be a few months before everyone gets the word on what's happened. Then a market will develop that should be profitable (is that a bad word: sorry :) ).

racer55
10-10-2010, 11:28
The problem as I understand it is this:
The new pump came with the new grey style pmd.
The new pmd and corresponding IP harness have a different shaped connector,resistor and gold plated pins.
The old style extension harness can be made to fit with some light filing but the OP's harness fit as is.
Keeping the new pmd as a spare requires a new short extension cable with the female end designed to fit the old style connector and a new style male end with gold pins to connect the new pmd.
Where the problem lies is when you try to connect the old style pmd to the new IP harness in the stock location- can't easily be done.
The problem could have been avoided from the start by changing out the new IP harness with the old IP harness during instalation of the new IP.
At that point all that would be required is the adaptor listed above to go from old to new and both styles of pmd could be used remotly mounted.
BTW a long version of that harness is availble also,in case you only wanted to upgrade to the new grey stanadyne pmd remotely mounted but retain your old IP harness.

Stratosurfer
10-10-2010, 18:31
The old style extension harness can be made to fit with some light filing but the OP's harness fit as is.
Keeping the new pmd as a spare requires a new short extension cable with the female end designed to fit the old style connector and a new style male end with gold pins to connect the new pmd.

Racer,
I don't think my mech did any alteration of my old extension harness: he said it snapped right together: very weird.
Keeping the new grey PMD as a spare is OK by itself because my harness is already pulled up for easy access out of the V Valley. The problem is at this point I am choosing to stay with my comfort factor and the DTech PMD and would rather have a spare PMD for the bumper end for my extension harness: where the new grey PMD will not fit.
Overall folks: this is a stinking mess we're all left by a horrible partner in these 6.5's in Stanadyne. They've once again covered themselves and screwed us!

JohnC
10-10-2010, 18:47
OK, I get it; an old extension harness won't work with a new Standyne PMD.

Stratosurfer
10-10-2010, 19:27
Maybe I just don't get it, but, if you buy a new PMD from stanadyne, it comes with a new harness, so you can use it one either a new or an old style pump.

According to your experience, you can use the new pump [harness] with an old style extension harness, so the D-tech works with both old and new pumps. (Even if this were not true, the only thing you'd need to do is switch the old harness from the old pump to the new pump.)

So, old pumps work with both D-Tech and Stanadyne new PMD's and new pumps work with both D-Tech and Stanadyne new PMD's.

What am I missing?

Is the connection where your D-tech harness plugs into the new pump harness weather tight?
Old Pumps will NOT work with the new gray PMD without an adapter that as I know it is not available. The caveat is that my remote harness to my DTech PMD, previously an older Stanadyne PMD: somehow plugged into the new OEM harness from my new IP:
I QUESTION THE INTEGRITY OF THIS CONNECTION BECAUSE OF THIS ISSUE. Sorry for the all caps but this is one of my major issues of heartburn w/Stanadyne.
The DTech PMD will NOT work if you choose to bolt it to the IP as OEM, as DTech says it is designed for, the connectors are incompatible. We all use remote harnesses because we already had them for the old PMD's that died so easily from heat. That's what I did, I just swapped out a remote bumper mounted OEM PMD with the DTech: connectors the same.

Guys, I'm done on this thread. Everyone will get to experience this first hand soon enough: Stanadyne be hanged!

racer55
10-10-2010, 20:29
Had your mechanic/technician changed out the IP harness from the old IP to the new IP you would have been fine using either pmd with the adapter cable I had you search on ebay.
With the old Ip harness on the new pump you could plug in your extension cable,or use the adapter to connect the new PMD at the pump or on the end of the extension.

I agree that it costs more this way to have the options available but there is a learning curve with new parts and it would have been nice to keep the new harness without having to buy an adapter.

phantom309
10-11-2010, 03:49
what a confusing thread,. adapter cables are available on ebay all day long,. original ip harness to new stanadyne,.
AS i stated above, you can grind off the proprietary guides off the plug on an adapter cable (original to new grey, or original to orignal) and ANY pmd can be used,. the resistors are the same,. the gold pins are a nice marketing ploy,.
i live in the real world and i relay my practical experiences,.

Nuff said,. too much drama over a small item,.

nick

Stratosurfer
10-11-2010, 06:01
what a confusing thread,. adapter cables are available on ebay all day long,. original ip harness to new stanadyne,.
AS i stated above, you can grind off the proprietary guides off the plug on an adapter cable (original to new grey, or original to orignal) and ANY pmd can be used,. the resistors are the same,. the gold pins are a nice marketing ploy,.
i live in the real world and i relay my practical experiences,.

Nuff said,. too much drama over a small item,.

nick
Sorry all for the confusion: It is a confusing situation. There is a website I tried to post the pics of the situation from a vendor but the admins stripped out the link. So I will let y'all live the situation and then maybe someone else can better clarify how Stanadyne has screwed us again. If the admins truly care about the 6.5 community they will leave intact the following link from a vendor which graphically displays the issue:

http://www.*********.com/pmd-fsd-resistor-stanadyne.htm

Scroll down to the pics of the connectors. If the links gone, I tried.

Peace Out.

JohnC
10-11-2010, 08:16
Old Pumps will NOT work with the new gray PMD without an adapter that as I know it is not available.

Not true! If you buy a new PMD from Stanadyne it comes with a new pump harness that connects the new PMD to the fuel solenoid and vehicle harness.

The DTech PMD will NOT work if you choose to bolt it to the IP as OEM, as DTech says it is designed for, the connectors are incompatible.

Yes, but... If you are replacing the pump and want to use the Dtech PMD and mount it to the pump, all you need do is use the harness from the old pump.

If you are buying a DTech PMD to replace a new Stanadyne PMD, you are correct; it will not fit. (Actually, it may, since your extension harness seems to have fit.) However, this is Dtech's problem, not Stanadyne's. Stanadyne makes no claim to be compatible with Dtech replacement parts.

Everyone will get to experience this first hand soon enough: Stanadyne be hanged!

It's easy to point fingers at Stanadyne, after all, GM certainty did. All in all, I suspect things would have been better all around if their relationship had been less adversarial.

I guess I prefer looking for solutions rather than scapegoats.

phantom309
10-15-2010, 19:15
I guess I prefer looking for solutions rather than scapegoats.

me too,. grind the tabs off use the same plug on any pmd,. crisis solved, what could be easier,. and less bandwidth,.
*sigh smh*

Nick