PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Turns over but doesn't start

larstanner
10-08-2010, 18:05
My K2500 has been great and has only had a few problesms since I bought it about 30K miles ago. The starter, alternator, cables, and batteries have been replaced. One night I parked it (it had run fine all day) and the next morning went to fire it up and all it did was turn over and it turns over strong. I've looked at most of the forum including the 6.5 troubleshooting section. Most of what I have seen is electrical or a case of hard starting. There seem to be a bunch of things to check, but I'm uncertain of what the likely ones are and which one to start with. Any suggestions?

Yesterday
10-08-2010, 18:43
It could be your PMD. Mine did that once.

Duane

racer55
10-09-2010, 17:35
Ignition switches have been known to fail also.

larstanner
10-12-2010, 13:52
Thanks for your replies.
racer55 - I took your advice and took a hammer to the ignition switch ... well gently but firmly. It started right after that. I test drove it and a couple of times it cut out, but jiggling the switch (not the key) brought it back to life. Being used to much much more simple diesels I had a hard time thinking that an ignition switch would keep it from running after it started. But if there is anything simple with my truck - its me.
Thanks again. I can't begin to tell you how much work you saved me.

racer55
10-12-2010, 14:13
I don't remember telling you to hammer the switch but its the end result that counts right.

a5150nut
10-12-2010, 20:45
The switch is down on the side of the stearing colum. Not too hard to replace. Common weakpoint in your 94.

Robyn
10-13-2010, 07:18
The engine is simple, it's the entire injection system thats controled by electronics that needs a good solid power supply.

12V turns on the fuel shutoff and then powers the various sensors and the PMD and then on to the fuel solenoid itself that is inside the IP

Get a fresh ignition switch in that beast before it leaves you alongside the road somewhere.

More fun to work on it in the driveway rather than out in the sticks somewhere.

Good luck

Missy