PDA

View Full Version : Lopey 6.2

Subzilla
10-06-2010, 07:28
6.2 with freshly rebuilt 6.5 heads, freshly installed ATS turbo, IP might have 90kish miles, 30kish mile injectors, DSG gear drive.

Been driving with the new turbo/heads for 2000 miles and over the last 800 miles or so, it has developed a very consistent lopey idle - enough to shake you out of the cab when it's in gear. Once it revs up past 2000 rpms, it smooths out and runs normally. It starts instantly, lots of power, hardly any smoke - in fact I need to turn up the IP to get a little black smoke at full throttle.

Before you suggest the fuel filter, NORMALLY the Sub's plugged fuel filter symptoms are lots of surging and low power. This doesn't fit that mold so I didn't swap filters yet.

I retarded the timing when I first installed the turbo to get rid of some unwanted excessive idle (didn't help) but this loping started some time after that.

john8662
10-06-2010, 12:19
Run the clear-tube on the return on the injection pump and see if you're getting bubbles when running.

The timing advance might be a big part of the lopey idle.

Plus DB2's kinda suck in this department by default anyways. I've been retarding the pump on daily drivers to the point just before it white smokes at idle. I hate a rough idle, probably why I like DS4's so much (good manners).

But, you should be able to return it back to a good running condition, it did before.

I'd still be curious how your hot engine timing on a 80+ degree day sounds, I could probably tell if you if the rattle is excessive.

J