PDA

View Full Version : What is the best air filter system?

MRBarta
02-08-2005, 09:03
I would like to install an air intake system and was curious what is all out there and anyone's stories about pro's and con's of the different types available.

Dvldog 8793
02-08-2005, 12:33
Howdy
Nobody really makes a "system" for the 6.5 turbo. I think what most people do is open up the flow of the existing stuff and use a better filter. I use a UNI oil foam racing filter. Some people have made ram air systems but it sounds like ALLOT work. Also you might want to consider opening up the exhaust, this makes a huge difference.
Hope this helps...
L8r
Conley

cruzer
02-08-2005, 13:06
I've heard that the 97 and newer airbox is more efficient but i do not know 1st hand. Also look at Kennedy's web site under tech tips for some helpfull ideas on this subject and remove the snorkle in the fender. And exhaust.

john8662
02-08-2005, 13:32
There isn't really an aftermarket air intake system. But since you have a 96 you have the same air filter setup that the 92-95's do. This uses the flat panel filter thats:

1. A pain in the butt to service.
2. A potential for leaks, and allowing dirt into the system.

So, what I did, is buy the 97+ air box and ducts to mount to the turbo. This air box uses a round filter that provides a more positive seal. I don't know if this box flows any more or not. I did it for peace of mind. The next step as mentioned above, get a Unifoam or Amsoil foam air filter for that style box (avoid the K&N).

Bobbie Martin
02-08-2005, 14:26
I agree, the late round filter setups are as good as you will get.
However, I suggest a K&N is the best filter you can get. Although you will hear a lot of bad things about them (usually from people trying to sell you something else), there is no reason not to use one.

Steve O.
02-08-2005, 16:53
I just ordered one of these from SS Diesel Supply:

http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/category_21_Performance_Air_Induction.html

Can't beat the price. If its anything like the rest of the stuff I have bought from SS Diesel, it will be top quality and work as advertised. I'll let everyone know once I get it and install it.

Its the only one on the market that I've seen for these trucks. I have no idea why all the major manufacturers have ignored the 6.5's for this stuff. Obviously they feel the potential customers aren't there. Thankfully there are some operations like this that cater to us.

Steve

Scooby
02-08-2005, 16:55
Where is the best place to buy the 97+ style air box ?? Please dont say junk yard- few and far between in Florida- even fewer with 6.5's !!

Bobbie Martin
02-08-2005, 17:06
Originally posted by Scooby:
Where is the best place to buy the 97+ style air box ?? Please dont say junk yard- few and far between in Florida- even fewer with 6.5's !! Yes "salvage" yard, but think nationally.
Try this link! (http://www.car-part.com). They are on ebay from time to time, but not often.

Turbine Doc
02-08-2005, 17:21
Jim is the reprint still available on air filters I recall it from when I first joined the Page

Steve O.
02-09-2005, 11:13
Got the new air intake setup this morning and installed it right away. Took out the factory airbox and put the SS Diesel piece right on with no trouble. Whole thing took maybe 10 minutes, and most of that was taking out the old box.

You can really hear the turbo whistle now, and boost is better. In fact, I think I am going to turn the Turbo-Master down a few notches since I do not have an intercooler and I am now going ovr 14 PSI.

Anyway, it was worth the money just for the better sound ;)

Steve

gmenor
02-09-2005, 15:00
Steve,
What kind of air filter does it use and can bought locally? Don't want to order something that has to be special ordered.

Kennedy
02-09-2005, 15:08
With an open element you are now breathing underhood air which is much warmer than ambient.

If one were to truly engineer a setup, it would be breathing cold air...

patrick m.
02-09-2005, 15:10
Steve O, i have seen those intake systems selling on e-bay, and have been thinking of getting one.

(or maybe making my own ;) )

TJ
02-09-2005, 15:20
Hey John,
I agree with you. In reality, one could just take the lid off of their 97+ style airboxes. I've contemplated cutting the top out, and keeping the "frame" of the lid so it seals the air filter. What do you think?

Thanks,
TJ

JoeyD
02-09-2005, 16:09
Last time I was at New England dragway it was hot and muggy, bad night for us non intercooler diesel trucks, and removing the lid on my air box was worth 1/10th of a sec. I did 6 runs back to back as it was slow up there. Cover was only thing I was changing 3 runs each. Doubtfull it a fluke.

JoeyD
02-09-2005, 16:11
I run the Wix HD filter for my truck and it will not fit with the lid on so I use RTV on the seal and run a tyrap around it to hold it down. Makes a great seal.

Steve O.
02-09-2005, 16:56
The dual cone filter is apparently a K&N like every other aftermarket intake sold. But the rest of the unit is clearly a piece specifically made for the 6.5, right down to the port for the CDR hose. I couldn't make one for much less, especially if you factor in the time.

John, I understnad what you're saying about the warm air. I had the same intitial thought. But I spoke directly to Walt at SS Diesel about this. He states that he measured air temps with an industrial pyrometer and found there to be a negligible difference between stock and the open element. The tradeoff between restricted slightly cooler flow through the fender vs. superior flow under the hood through an open element seems to favor the latter. Certainly the huge noticible increase in audible turbo whine must mean more air is getting in. Like my dealings with you, I have found Walt to be a man of great honesty and integrity when it comes to his products and service.

I have a modified '71 Camaro with a '70 1/2 LT1. The first thing I did was scrap the closed air filter unit and replaced it with an open K&N on top of the Holley. Huge improvement even though I have no cold air induction. When K&N came out with their "filter top" element to replace metal filter covers, I bought one of those too. Nothing but good results.

Same this with my RX-7 roadrace car. I use an open K&N in place of the stock airbox, as does everyone else that races these cars. No quetion about the value of the less restriced airflow in that app either.

From these experiences, plus what I observe on the aftermarket for trucks and cars, a properly designed open element under the hood is typically going to be an improvement over most closed airboxes.

Oh yeah, it looks cool too. ;)

Scooby
02-11-2005, 03:30
Well, I ordered the filter setup from SS Diesel. I found a few 97+ airboxes, and was quite tempted to go that route to upgrade my 96 from the flat panel. By the time I bought the airbox, and a good filter, I would have been well over what SS Diesel is charging for their complete system. The only issue I have with the open element is on other motors, I have noticed the open style seems to get dirty a lot quicker than one pulling from a housing.
Hopefully I wont regret this choice, but if I do, chalk it up to ANOTHER learning experience.

jspringator
02-11-2005, 06:01
The lid doesn't do anything to seal the filter. In fact, I previously had a problem of the rubber slipping off the plastic elbo which has improved since I took the lid off.

Dvldog 8793
02-11-2005, 06:37
From the looks of it I would say that the main benifit of this type of filter assembly would be a straighter line for the air. There is no "S" curve or flex pipe. I would also think that a person could simply cut a new hole in the inner fender and still get the same "factory" air plus the under hood air. It would be interesting to see the ambient temps out on the fender when you are going down the hyway vs. town driving.
L8r
conley Janssen

Mike Pope
02-13-2005, 17:26
I have noticed the open style seems to get dirty a lot quicker than one pulling from a housing.......
I have a similar style K&N cone shaped filter on the cummins in my '85 suburban. I use an "outerwears" cover on it..........helps significantly.

Scooby
02-14-2005, 06:30
I use an "outerwears" cover on it..........helps significantly. [/QB][/QUOTE]

OUTERWEARS?? What is that?? Underwear or nylons or something ?? !!!! I dont know about dressing up under the hood like that.

Maybe a foam wrap or something??

Mike Pope
02-14-2005, 09:01

OUTERWEARS?? What is that??........ It is a "pre-filter" of sorts, I guess.

www.outerwears.com (http://www.outerwears.com) (their website is a little tricky, but if you search for keyword K&N, it will show some sizes. Also, they will custom make a size if they don't already make it. You can get them in a water "resistant" material as well.)

An example on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46093&item=4527986136&rd=1

gmenor
02-20-2005, 16:53
Just installed the SS Diesel air filter set up. One thing I did notice was the increase of EGT of 100-200 temperature. Performance as far as boost was about 1-2 PSI increase. At 70 mph I usually see about 5-6 boost now I am seeing 6-7 (cruise control) on hills. I guess now is the time to really get serious and look at JK's chip and intercooler.

JohnC
02-21-2005, 09:09
Originally posted by gmenor:
Just installed the SS Diesel air filter set up. One thing I did notice was the increase of EGT of 100-200 temperature. OK, I'll bite. How could this be (coupled with an increase in boost), and is it desireable?

Scooby
02-23-2005, 03:38
I also replied to the other post, but I'll do it here too. I got and installed the SSDiesel filter too. I have been driving the truck every day to work lately, as my van was getting painted. Watching everything real close, both before and after filter change. With new filter, I see much quicker boost pressure, and it is about 1 pound higher than before. EGT is a little lower. The outside temps here have been pretty constant during my travel times, so I dont think they are affecting my readings. Fuel mileage has been steadily improving, and last two tanks have been at 19.58 & 19.55. Thats with no AC, as it has been cool in Florida lately. Both of those tanks were with the new filter installed. I usually get in the 18's if I stay on the highway. Any around town kills it. The daily commute has been good for me to check mileage, since it is nearly all highway. I cant say the filter was the cause of the higher mileage though, cause it seemed to be getting better even before the filter change. It will be 82 here today, so I may run the air on the way home. This is the most I have driven the truck since I got it- my van is cheaper to run to work- reg unleaded, and just under 20 mpg. Diesel is a 2.00 a gallon now. :confused:

gmenor
02-23-2005, 03:54
Scooby,
I travel alot and instead of using the regional airport I go to Raleigh-Durham Airport (RDU) (70 miles - almost all highway). Currently in Springfield, Il and will make the return route this afternoon. I monitor my truck constantly and know what the averages are (especially going up and down hills) to and from RDU and Fayetteville, NC to Fredericksburg, VA (used to be weekly commute). I'll see if I get the same thing this afternoon - could be a fluke.

tloomis
02-23-2005, 19:24
Hi gmenor,

Just wondering I see you have JK's 3.5" exhaust system but, did you modify the soot trap. Could possibly be reason for increased EGTs.

gmenor
02-24-2005, 04:31
Well, made the drive back from RDU airport and the results were the same. On long hills my EGT are up 100 - 200 degress higher and boost is 1-2 more. This air filter system may not be the best but IMHO it does make the truck breathe better than the original box filter. Bringing up this subject with some of my friends who have/has built performance engines (gas) they said the stay with the SS Diesel air filter system. They have similiar performance air systems in their gassers that is turbo'd. They agree that it does induce warmer air but the OEM box restricts air flow. The truck moving above 35 mph will have air flow throughout the engine compartment. I plan to put the original back on this weekend and and see if the if the results are the same. As for the CAT it is gone and I plan to take it to a welding shop to get it modified for "visual testing" purpose.

Dvldog 8793
02-24-2005, 06:10
Howdy
I just recently modified my original airbox. I simply cut a hole in the top and epoxied some expanded Aluminum to the inside of the airbox. The hole was cut in the top and removed the rectangular piece that the old emission sticker was on. This way I still get the cool air from the fender passage and I get the greater flow from the extra opening. If nothing else it sounds really cool as I can also hear the "WHOOOOOSH" of the waste-gate functioning! :D
L8r
Conley Janssen

Steve O.
02-24-2005, 06:59
I know it may be a bit out there, but has anyone thought of an off-road style snorkel as a way of getting cooler air into whatever underhood setup they have? Benefits would be a sort of ram-air effect, plus, the air at the top of the truck is bound to be cooler than air coming off the ground, plus it will certainly be cleaner.

I've wanted to do one for a while. ARB makes several models for the passenger side of other trucks, but until I can see one in person and get some measurements and angles, I haven't wanted to spend the money. Some off-roaders use big diameter PVC, but thats a little too "rustic" for a street driven truck for me.

Not be the best route for guys looking to keep a stock appearance, but for guys with older, more modified rigs, it would seem like a good option.

JoeyD
02-24-2005, 16:50
Steve, My brother has a ARB snorkel on his 84K5. It does look awaesome but not on my truck. His is an off road machine with 44 in tires so it fits the apperence of the truck.

Steve O.
02-25-2005, 07:42
Joey, any chance I could get a picture of that? Also, I still need your address to send you the dyno day video.

Steve

Scooby
02-25-2005, 12:09
GMENOR-
Please keep me (us) posted about your filter. I dont know why you see higher egt- especially that much higher. Mine is actually a little lower with the SS Diesel filter. Maybe cause I am not pulling any hills here in Florida. Straight & level EGT is just slightly lower than with stock box. Once I get my Autoenginuity software I am going to test the IAT with both filter systems and see what I find.

gmenor
02-25-2005, 17:22
Scooby,
Out here in the Sandhills will have rolling hills. What I am seeing is more boost and higher EGT under load (I don't think that is a problem). With the engine under load it should be producing more heat. I notice that the EGT definitely goes down rapidly. On the flat stretches have lower EGT with little more boost. My original thought was that with higher boost under load I am experiencing higher EGT.

Arlie
02-27-2005, 09:16
Here's an idea for fresh air I posted a while back. Use two small hood scoops mounted over the hollow hood stiffener located under the hood. It's shaped like an X. Seal the openings with bondo. Cut into the X under the scoops. Cut into the X near the air box. Fab a duct to the box. It would have to separate for hood opening.
Cold ram air.
Arlie

DA BIG ONE
02-28-2005, 03:55
Another method to get outside air would be to retro fit a hummer canister, or other above hood canister. This would require cutting (trimming) a 4" or 5" off your hood at the trailing edge and rear passenger edge of hood.
The intake pipe would protrude from there w/filter canister attached to the outside, or it can be installed under hood, requiring only a pipe from there setup as a snorkel.

Heat wrap on IC pipes after IC always helps!

gvt
02-28-2005, 09:54
Has anyone done an oil analysis after running one of the cone filters? If it is physically smaller and it flows more air how well does it filter?

JoeyD
02-28-2005, 10:02
Steve O, I sent you a PM over at the place.

Kennedy
03-01-2005, 06:52
While I am not a fan of the gauze type filters, I did just get a product announcement showing a new intake kit for this alpplication 92-99 6.5. It isn't cheap, but looks VERY well designed. The element mounts oriented like the OE 97 up, and the elbow appears to be a one piece tapered design constructed of molded plastic. There is also a 3 sided tray to protect from direct heat, and fan debris...

TJ
03-01-2005, 17:32
John,
When is it available?

TJ

javadog
03-19-2005, 09:42
John-
What company sent out the announcement? SSDieselSupply? AFE? Do you have a P/N?

javadog
03-22-2005, 06:02
This must be it-
http://www.afefilters.com/images/54-10732500.jpg

However with shipping and the PG7 filter it is going to be close to $500. Ouch.
Do you think it is worth it?

ToddMeister
03-23-2005, 04:11
Too many $$$$$ for what you get there.

I wouldn't pay more than $200 for that setup.

TJ
03-23-2005, 11:57
I agree...$500 is insane for that. There's nothing to it. I can understand a little R&D costs bringing the price up a smidge, but that's out of control

TJ