PDA

View Full Version : Tee into factory boost sensor?

gvt
01-05-2005, 10:06
I finally installed my gauges...well almost. Everything is done except plumbing the boost tubing to the intake manifold. I'm wondering if I can take out the factory boost sensor and install a tee for the gauge and sensor? I think that is what More Power did in the '02 article "Got Gauges", except that was a Duramax. Anyone do this on a 6.5L??? Thanks

jspringator
01-05-2005, 13:22
I t'd off something on top the intake manifold with a brass t fitting; it was probably the factory boost sensor. Got the idea from Patrick m . Everything appears to work. Screw out and unclip the sensor to size.

norm
01-05-2005, 17:20
The brass base item with npt threads is the IAT sensor (temp) while the MAP (boost) is the black plastic deal. I am not sure teeing the IAT is a good idea for it to get a good reading to the ecm.
I need to plumb my boost gauge now, too; thought I would have to drill and tap. It would be a lot easier not removing that upper plenum etc.

patrick m.
01-06-2005, 18:20
remove the "map" sensor, and your fitting that came with your guage will screw right in. The hole is not threaded, but perfect for the fitting.
just attach a bit of tubeing, "tee" in the "map" sensor, and run the rest of the tubeing to your guage.
you can tuck the sensor safely under the intake.

Kennedy
01-07-2005, 06:07
I'd suggest drilling/tapping the intake extension like I did here:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/intakeinlet6.5_sm.jpg

gvt
01-07-2005, 09:23
Oops! My bad! I had my wires crossed. :confused: I was looking at the IAT sensor. I'll be removing the upper intake plenum to do a little "material removal" anyway, so I guess I'll just drill and tap. Thanks for the replies!

sturgeon-phish
01-07-2005, 10:26
I like John's idea of taping onto the extension. It would not effect the operation of the existing sensor, and be easy to clean to ensure no shavings from the drilling and tapping operation get into the intake.

catmandoo
01-07-2005, 14:52
when i took my upper plenum off to grind out i found it was quicker to go around the outside with a drill and drill a bunch of like 1/4 inch holes all the way around then take a grinder and finish off whats left.but that center section is a pain in the butt.

norm
01-07-2005, 19:57
I have a non egr L65. Is it still useful to modify upper plenum for airflow?