PDA

View Full Version : Code 36

piersbc
01-05-2005, 06:01
If I gun my truck up to 2700-2800 rpm and then bring it back to 2000 rpm my service engine soon light will come on every time. I get a code 36. I put a new PMD on under warranty about 2 months ago. I put the PMD on the Heath Cooler by the skid plate. Anyone else experience this problem? I'm wondering if the Injection Pump is going too. The dealer wouldn't put a new one on since I didn't have a code at that time...just warm start dieing.

David Brady
01-05-2005, 07:55
Piersbc,
I had a 36 code on & off for couple of years that went away when I replaced the pump. Mine would set the code at 2200 with cold engine and seemed to be related to fuel quality. Try running some good additive and see if it makes a difference. If it does you may get some more life out of it. Other things to check is the electrical grounds and connectors. My codes surfaced at 122K miles and about 6 months later I learned about the GM replacement bulletin. I had remounted the PMD and eventually had to replace the pump at 160K. Good luck and let us know any other symtoms that come up.

damork
01-05-2005, 18:36
Try running #1 or a premium diesel - I've had the code 36 before and it can be related to the FSD or the fuel. Once I had a pump fail 6 mos after the first code 36, but recently had it appear and disappear by switching fuel.

A Stanadyne tech once told me they find debris of some kind in the fuel solenoid with pumps having this code so I added more filtration to my truck.