PDA

View Full Version : 700r4 rebuild question

sprice
09-13-2010, 09:53
I have a 700r4 that I just tore into. It is out of an '84 chevy K5 Blazer with a 6.2L diesel. The tranny itself is an '88. I was driving it home, and all of a sudden I felt this hard thump, almost like I hit a big pot-hole in the road. To make a long story short, I tow it home and there is oil everywhere. I drop the tranny, and dig into it and find I am having a hard time separating the reaction shell and reaction carrier shell from the lower planetary. I finally pry them out, and the teeth on the reaction carrier shaft have been twisted at least 3/8 of a turn. And boy does the oil stink. I dig down further to the lower planetary assembly, and the sun gear is completely stripped of her teeth, and the thrust bearing rollers are all welded together. My question to you is what parts do I need for this rebuild? My output shaft and the lower half of the tranny parts are all discolored. Does that take strength away from them? I know if I ask a part store they will want to sell me everything I don't need.

Any suggestions?

JohnC
09-13-2010, 14:10
My output shaft and the lower half of the tranny parts are all discolored. Does that take strength away from them?...

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't use anything that is discolored. Sounds like a second hand trans would be a lot more cost effective.