PDA

View Full Version : Value Of A Clean Lo Mileage Tahoe 6.5 LT

Stratosurfer
09-06-2010, 08:12
All,
I've been looking for a clean low mileage (or relatively low mileage) Tahoe 6.5 and have been striking out completely for some time now. My 16 year old get his license next week, I started looking when he turned 14.... Not many out there!

I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190439991986&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Looks great except: NO Mods whatsoever, not even relocated PMD, AND I can't hang with his price. I figure it needs the PMD relocate mod immediately and wonder if the cat isn't gone and needing an exhaust as well. I also put the Fluid Damper on mine so: $2000 mods on top of top dollar makes this rough on the old man.

He just dropped the price, I think he started at $20,000. Anyone like to venture what this truck is worth?
OTW, anyone selling a Tahoe LT 6.5?

DmaxMaverick
09-06-2010, 09:44
Wow!!

That Tahoe is worth at least what he's asking, if it is in fact that clean. The "no mods" thing is absolutely a good thing, along with the dealer-only-serviced claim, with no shade-tree's having hands on it. Any mods on this truck would likely make it worth less (not "worthless").

Contact the seller and make offers. If I were selling it, my asking price would be very similar. If I were in the market for one, I would give this one a serious look, even at the asking price. It's a rare animal and like new. You may live out your life and never see one for sale like this again.

Stratosurfer
09-06-2010, 10:06
DMax,
Thanks for input. I understand the OEM value of original. But if I were buying this to -drive- it would you feel the same way on it's value. If we're going to drive a 6.5 it must have the PMD updated/relocated if you want to drive it anywhere. This would be a daily driver for me. Are you possibly thinking of this vehicle strictly as collector item or a driver: to me it makes a huge difference as I will drive this daily.

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
09-06-2010, 10:39
Either/or. Drive/store. ESPECIALLY for a daily driver.

I've bought/sold a bunch of used vehicles over the years and have formed one absolute conclusion: Any previous mods are NOT up to my standard, and must be done again or removed. This equates to a "loss" for me in the end. If not, it's a bonus and I got lucky. In this case, I would not consider any mod, or lack of them, part of the value. I would be more skeptical if it had mods, than not.

As far as the "required" mods go, none are absolutely required. The PMD relocation is recommended, but not necessarily required. Believe it or not (despite what you read here and elsewhere on the interweb), 90% of ALL EFI 6.5's live a happy life with it left alone. Personally, I probably would relocate the FSD (actually add one, leaving the original where it is). Our '95 has had one pump replacement (early in its life), and it's been flawless with everything OEM. It's an abused work truck. If it ain't broke, I'm not inclined to "fix" it. A spare FSD is on hand, though (belt and suspenders for me, in any case). It's been my experience the PMD gets more blame than its due, and is replaced unnecessarily, despite the outcome (argument for another time....). I like the Fluid Damper, but most engines live fine without one.

For most failures you hear about, there is no rhyme or reason. They break, no matter the treatment. Easy life or hard, they just do. Relocated PMD's fail only slightly less than OEM, but there's a LOT more to that story than anyone will hear, in my experience (but like I said....argument for another time).

Stratosurfer
09-06-2010, 12:28
Dmax,
Thanks again. The truck does look fabulous. Just having had these 6.5's unreliable -until- what I consider mandatory mods: DTECH PMD relocated out of the engine compartment: I suppose I agree with you on mods and disagree as well. I would want them done right and would have to fix mods not done correctly. My experience down south here in the heat is that the Stanadyne PMD will not live long attached to the pump, or for that matter anywhere in the engine compartment.
Thanks

DmaxMaverick
09-06-2010, 12:56
Each to his/her own. I don't disagree for the most part. The PMD/damper mods are essentially insurance, and like insurance, it's something you pay for and hope to be a waste of additional expense. The cost is relatively inexpensive, compared to the potential loss. There are many ways to address common issues, but the only real value is peace of mind. Whatever the weight of that value, it is unique to you.

Looking at this truck and comparing it to others available, there's just no comparison. How much rust, grime, dents, tears, cracks, squeaks, rattles, clunks and funny colored smoke and/or smell is worth the cost of a relatively simple (and comparatively inexpensive) mod? It is what it is to you, but I would completely disregard it as an issue with the purchase price. It's your wallet and your transportation at stake, not mine, so do what you feel you must. Take my (and other's) opinion for what it is, and nothing more.

6.5TDTahoe
09-10-2010, 12:23
There is one rule that should not be violated. Don't ever pay to much. You can probably buy a 2009 used Tahoe for the asking price of the ebay 6.5 Tahoe.Think about that!! Which one would you prefer to drive the next 10 years????

arveetek
09-10-2010, 13:58
While it's a nice Tahoe, I couldn't even begin to think of paying that much for a 12 year old Tahoe.

My Tahoe is nearly identical to that one...same color, same interior, same LT model. Mine didn't have the fender flares, but instead had the OEM fender flare/running board combo. I removed mine and sold them, since they made the rig look too 'car' like. Mine has the tailgate instead of barn doors, and has the manual-shift transfer case instead of the electronic. Otherwise, it's nearly the same vehicle.

I bought mine in October '05. It showed to have 106K on the clock. Upon performing a CARFAX, I realized the odometer had been tampered with. It actually had somewhere around 165K on it. I was able to use this to negotiate a better price. I paid $4995 for my Tahoe nearly 5 years ago.

Now, it's hard to compare the two vehicles, since mine had 100K more miles, but, my experience has been that a vehicle that sits can have as many, or more, problems than a vehicle that's been driven a lot.

I say all of that to say this: Myself, I wouldn't even consider it. Especially it's for a teenager to drive who probably won't appreciate it for what it is.

Keep looking, you can surely find one out there for a reasonable price!!!

Edit: Oops! My Tahoe doesn't have heated seats!!! I still don't think that's worth thousands of dollars... :D

Casey

Robyn
09-10-2010, 15:09
Here is my 2 cents worth

Kelly Blue book on that Tahoe is $6500

Now this is in excellent condition.

I might be willing to entertain a tad more if the truck was perfect.

The low miles is a plus but a 98 6.5 is not my first choice for a block.

$17K is ahhhhhhhhh the guy is blowing smoke.

I know that diesel Tahoes are not hanging on every tree, but over twice Blue book is crazy. :eek:

When my daughter was a teen and just started driving, we found a 92 Bronco for $3000 and it was clean and ran well.

Missy

DmaxMaverick
09-10-2010, 15:24
Wow! Again!

Read todays replies, and I had to go have another look at it. My apologies, but I must have missed a digit on the asking price. For some reason, I was thinking $79xx, not 17K!!!

OK. I agree with the above comments. The price is double what may be reasonable. $9-10K wouldn't be out of the park, IF it is in perfect showroom condition. It looks like it should command a premium price, but not by a $10K margin. The lower miles is a real bonus. Miles don't only accumulate on the engine, and chassis repairs on older vehicles can be, and in many case are, more costly than engine repairs.

JohnC
09-10-2010, 15:49
Whewww....!

I was reluctant to chime in with "What the he!! are you guys smokin'? And too lazy to go look up the blue book on it. I was going to say "maybe half..."

Stratosurfer
09-10-2010, 20:00
Now things are shaping up a little: First a clarification. The 97 Tahoe I'm driving now I want to give to the 16 year old lad. -I- am interested in an upgrade in interior pkge (LT).
Thanks for clarification from all and D-Max: I wasn't sure where you were coming from, but now understand.
OK: So 10K after further discussion seems to be on the high end on this truck, which I think I could do. Let's see where the chips fall....
Thanks all.

Robyn
09-11-2010, 07:13
The Blue book is a great place to "START" when trying to place a value on a used rig. Now this does not help much when the rig is rare or highly sought after like the early Ford Bronco's or the early Blazers and so on.

The two door Tahoe with a 6.5 is definately a more scarce vehicle.

I have tried for several years to find one and the only one I found was WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL used and we could not come to an agreement on the price.

The asking price is too far over book to even be reasonable. The low miles helps level the playing field some but not that much.

If I were looking to deal on this truck.
Very good condition
Neat as a pin in and out
Runs great with no issues
No outward showing issues (there is always something about to break):D

I would be willing to pay Up to $8000 for this truck.

Now I am a cheap tight wad nasty hard dealing old gal so take it at that.

I grew up the daughter of the original PICKERS
Mom and Dad dealt in second hand items, ran antique auctions and bought and sold anything that one could make a $$$ on.

Learned to deal hard and fast and always come out on top (well thats what Daddy said was supposed to happen)

Have fun dealing on the Tahoe

Hope it all works out for ya.

Missy

Stratosurfer
09-11-2010, 07:44
Missy Thanks. I'm early 50's ish with 5 kids still at home. Wife homeschools the kids so we pinch pennies 'til they squeal then cut 'em half...
I think I would be willing to pay around $,9000 for this truck. My 97 Tahoe with the mod's is a very fun daily driver. I will add that the Fluid Damper was worth the money. And to all the additive Witch Doctors out there, my rig runs really sweet on 1/2 oz ATF per gallon, the difference very noticeable without.
So if I could start over with an as new LT and putting the mods on, I think I might drive this vehicle 15 years. We've got a diesel mech in town that says he's got a 6.5 customer who's been running cleaned up WMO at 40% in his and getting good results. I like the 6.5; with the mods it's reliable and he fact it's old distributor style injection has many advantages on maintenance. Being an old pilot, I remembered a few things about aircraft fleet maintenance: The military keeps one type on hand to keep maintenance simple (for a given mission): I like to keep a 'fleet' around of the same -type- so that an issue on one once solved is so much easier on the completing it on the others. So maybe $9,000? Maybe a shade more?
I think of putting a new interior in the current rig and new paint: about $5,000. My boy will pay me $5,000 he's saved. So $10,000?
Maybe he'll arm wrestle me for the difference. This is Texas....