PDA

View Full Version : Flashing dome lights?

jspringator
01-04-2005, 15:02
Going down the road with all doors shut, the dome light (and door lights) flash on and off. You can hear a "click" on the L side of the dash every time it goes on or off. Any ideas? BTW, I pulled fuse 3 to shut off the light for the night.

THE FIX: Sprayed Mobil One lube into drivers door switch. About a day later, stopped clicking-then replaced fuse, and it works again! Thanks to all who replied.

[ 01-09-2005, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: James Springate ]

markelectric
01-04-2005, 16:38
When my sub did that we found the rear window not properly shut.....

patrick m.
01-04-2005, 16:48
check door janb switches, if one "feels" funny its probably broken causing the "on-off" situation.

markrinker
01-04-2005, 19:50
I am guessing the click is actually a short in the dimmer wheel that controls the dome light.

Both of my trucks have required new running/headlight switches. Both shorted out and were 'flakey'.

rjschoolcraft
01-04-2005, 21:11
Could be the above, or...

Mine did this about two years ago. Finally got to the point that the dome light would stay on all the time (unless I used the over ride button by the headlight switch). I found that the door switch had worn some and need to be depressed further. I put a washer under the button in the door trim...problem cured! ;)

Turbine Doc
01-04-2005, 23:42
Worn hinge pins can allow door to sag just enough to make intermittent contact with switch, I RTVd a penny, sort of like *** washer idea, to my dash switch contact point for a little more push on the switch, if this is your problem start reading up on hinge pin & bushing replacement, that will be next.

rjschoolcraft
01-05-2005, 01:11
I should also point out that I repaired the hinge pins as well... thought that might cure the problem. However, the washer was needed.

Good point, Tim. ;)

TCombs
01-05-2005, 04:31
I have the same problem with my 99 K2500. In the past, the problem I have seen is with the interior lighting module. That will also be where you find the clicking noise coming from. I believe they are a around $200 or so from the dealer. It is attached to brake pedal bracket next to steering column. Just my history with this problem.

Billman
01-05-2005, 06:13
The switches are junk. I've replaced mine once already and it's showing signs of being bad again.

$3-$4 from the dealer or AC Delco.

GM 15739935
AC Delco D6066

These numbers are for the front doors.

C/K, Sub, or Tahoe I believe.

332bill
01-05-2005, 06:59
James, I had the same problem. The interior lights would flicker on and off and eventually they just stayed on. I intially thought it was the headlight/dimmer switch. It ended up being the switch in the rear cargo door. I took it out, cleaned it up and it has been fine ever since. BTW, the headlight/dimmer switch can be purchased at Advance Auto parts. It is a GP Sorenson part that is made in the USA, is an exact match and even has the GM part number on it. The cost is about $35.

Bill

Bill

ace58
01-05-2005, 19:06
I am in the door switch club. Mine was the drivers door.

CareyWeber
01-06-2005, 03:56
My dome light have a cold issue if it gets down in the teens they will come on their own.

I replaced the plastic front switchs and it still happens maybe I'll try adding a washer.

Carey

sk8rdi16
01-06-2005, 07:20
I have a related question. My overhead light does not come on when the driver side door opens, but will come on with all of the others. Is this normal? or should the light be coming on with the driver door also??

Thanks

DennisG01
01-06-2005, 07:31
Skater,

Check to make sure the little black plunger/switch is popping out. Located on the forward, inside door opening.

rjschoolcraft
01-06-2005, 10:36
My problems started in the cold as well. Within a few months, it was all the time. Thermal expansion... ;)