PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic Balancer & Pulley removal?

fastcat800
08-31-2010, 12:03
I need some creative ideas! The rubber is completly gone and the pulley moves back and forth at least 45 degrees freely until it hits on the heads of the four bolts that attach it to the harmonic balancer. It has worn away about 2/3 of the four bolt heads that hold it to the harmonic balancer. I can get a six point socket on the bolts and when I try to loosen them the motor turns over so I can't break any of them loose. I am going to search for a 6 point 15 MM, 1/2" drive socket so I can try my air impact wrench but I am afraid it will just spin on the worn away bolt head. If all else fails, I was thinking I can grind off the four bolt heads, pull the pulley off and should have plenty of the bolts exposed to get them out with a vise grips or a stud puller. Anyone ever had this problem and have any ideas? I don't see the large crank bolt that holds on the harmonic balancer, so I assume it is behind the pulley and will be visible after I get the pulley off.

john8662
08-31-2010, 12:42
Put the belt back on, harder to spin that way!

Otherwise I'd recommend the impact wrench.

87max
08-31-2010, 13:27
If you have all the goodies out from the front so you can swing you can try a hand impact & bfh. Less chance of breaking off bolt.

Robyn
08-31-2010, 13:55
The damper pulley bolts should not be all that hard to get loose.

Use the impact wrench and a 6 point socket.

Yess the crank bolt is behind the pulley

Missy

fastcat800
08-31-2010, 14:37
Put the belt back on, harder to spin that way!

Otherwise I'd recommend the impact wrench.

I got two of them loose with the belt back on. I have to go buy a socket to try the inpact as I don't have a 6 point 1/2" drive 15 MM. I am using a 3/8 drive with a breaker bar and I feel the socket starting to slip on the other two so I doubt the impact will work, but I am going to give it a try. If that doesn't work I think I will have to grind the heads off the other two bolts to get the pulley off. Any opinions on that?

fastcat800
08-31-2010, 18:04
I bought a 1/2" drive 6 point socket and the remaining two bolts came right off with the impact. Thanks all for the help. The Harmonic Balancer looks fine. I am on a tight budget right now and only plan on replacing the pulley/dampener assy I found at O'Rielys for $59. What, if any are the draw backs of this. The fluid dampener is way over my budget right now.

bkcorso
09-25-2010, 22:42
I just got done doing that this evening in the parking lot of checker auto parts.:(

Take off the flywheel inspection cover, and use a small pry bar, or a medium sized flat head screw driver to keep the flywheel from spinning while you loosen the pulley bolts. (35ft lbs going back in ?)This is really fun by yourself..

The large crank bolt is behind the pulley. that fella is on there nicely. (200ft lbs) 30" 1/2 drive swivel head breaker FTW !! I didn't have to take anything else off to r/r it. a ratchet with a swivel head was the only way i could use the puller.

Good luck to ya !!! I got the torque values off the interent via my phone, can anyone verify ?

Ill be seing yall around, just bought a 94 k2500 burban, and boy do I have a lot to learn. I hope this is the right place =)

jerry598
09-27-2010, 09:23
Yep, 200 ft lbs is correct. But that's for the single big bolt for the main balancer, not the 4 pully bolts.