PDA

View Full Version : New IP?

Yesterday
08-28-2010, 16:02
Had a stalling issue with my 98 dually. Died on me three times while climbing
a steep grade. Restarted immediately, changed the fuel filter and lift pump.
Been good since, but took it to the local diesel shop. They scanned it, and
told me I needed a new IP.

They wanted $2350 (canadian) to install a rebuilt pump. Thought that was
a bit high so no way.

Question.. does this sound like an IP about to quit? It has been over a week
with no further problems.

I notice Stanadyne has a new pump that supposedly has a new fuel flow system. Anyone have any further information on this.

Thanks to all, Duane

DmaxMaverick
08-28-2010, 16:11
Probably not the "PUMP". More likely a related electrical/electronic issue. Possibly and internal sensor/solenoid, but they get blamed a lot when they shouldn't. Did they tell you what the "scan" told them, indicating a failed pump? Details, please....

Yesterday
08-29-2010, 19:23
No, they did not tell me what the scan code was, just told me "you need a new Injection Pump" Their prices are too high, found a new Stanadyne
pump with PMD at US Diesel parts for $1045. Supposedly has updated fuel
delivery system.

Duane

DmaxMaverick
08-29-2010, 23:57
The pump may be bad, but the chances are very slim that's the problem with the info you've posted. Just to be clear...You had one episode when it died 3 times, replaced the filter and LP, and it's been fine since? Then, a shop "scanned" the system, and determined the pump was bad (not telling you why they thought it was bad)?

Simply, the filter and/or LP could have been the cause (which could toss codes that could indicate a bad pump). It could be a dozen other things, long before I would have condemned the pump, even with supporting trouble codes (LP relay, fuel filler cap, collapsed/degraded fuel line, low/high voltage, bad ground, etc, etc, ). The injector pump is the last item on the list of possible things to go wrong.

Yesterday
08-30-2010, 20:24
Ok, here is the latest. Put a scanner on it, nothing. No codes at all, current or stored. The truck would start, run a couple minutes and die. Did this 6 times, I decided it was not driveable, took another vehicle to work. Came home, tried it, ran about 3 minutes and died, would not restart. Tried it a couple hours later, started right away, I turned it off after about 5 minutes.
Am starting to wonder about a bad ground somewhere. Will check that out
tomorrow. Oh, checked the fuel flow, it's good.

Thanks for the advice

Duane

DaveBr
08-31-2010, 18:16
Check your PMD out. If it's not remote mounted now would be a good time to do it. Classic PMD failure is start, run a bit and no restart for a long period.

Many pumps have been replaced because the PMD failed.

Yesterday
09-01-2010, 20:25
Well, ran truck last night with scanner attached. Did a complete diagnosis and
everything is good. Sending truck into diesel shop tomorrow, they installed the new PMD a year ago, and it's still under warranty. They insist it is the
IP, so I said ok, replace it but use the old PMD. If it still stalls...
They get to put everything back.

Duane

Yesterday
09-03-2010, 19:23
Picked my truck up today, it was a bad PMD. The new gray updated
Stanadyne PMD lasted exactly one year 15 days, heck, the old ones did
better than that. Replaced under warranty. Had them put a new IP in also,
they bench tested the old one and it was ready to crash.

Driving it home, I couldn't believe the difference, ran smooth and quiet, lots
of power.:D

Duane

racer55
09-05-2010, 16:00
Did you have them remote mount the pmd while they were in there?

Yesterday
09-06-2010, 20:18
Thanks, I do have a remote PMD mount. Made it a lot easier to put the new one in. I think I may change the heat sink.. this one is aluminum. doesn't cool as much as I would like. Anyone have any experience with DSG alloy heat sinks?

Duane

racer55
09-06-2010, 20:37
Thanks, I do have a remote PMD mount. Made it a lot easier to put the new one in. I think I may change the heat sink.. this one is aluminum. doesn't cool as much as I would like. Anyone have any experience with DSG alloy heat sinks?

Duane
As far as I know aluminum is an alloy.
Also I can't find the heatsink on DSG's site to compare,only the extension cable.Do they still offer a heatsink of thier own?
Where is your remote pmd heatsink mounted?

Yesterday
09-07-2010, 20:20
The PMD cooler is there, look under special products in the 6.5 product listing.
I am wondering if it is the same as the heat sinks I used to buy for computers.
When you touched them, it felt as though you put your finger on an ice cube.
They would transfer heat that fast.

The cooler is currently mounted on the left hand inner fender. I know people
recommend behind the front bumper, but I use this truck for ranch work, and there is a lot of debris that ends up in that area. Not to mention running into the odd boulder or tree stump.

Duane

racer55
09-07-2010, 20:27
Thanx I did find it this time around,its a little pricey though.
For the piece of mind of the warranty alone I think I would go with Heaths kit though when you start talking dollars like that for the heatsink alone.