PDA

View Full Version : 98 6.5 l fears of block cracking

r.diesel
08-28-2010, 01:53
I am first time diesel owner. My truck has 160,000 on it, runs strong has good oil pressure, does not run hot.
But I have been reading horror stories about 98 6.5l cracking blocks or heads. Is their any truth to a large no. of engines being at risk. what I am wondering should i get out while i am ahead.
thanks

Yukon6.2
08-28-2010, 09:26
Hi
Every engin,transmission will have horror stories that follow it around.The 6.5 has a few weakness's but also has strength's.You will find the horror stories posted here because everyone comes foir help when they have troubles.There are a few posts about long life from a few engins,but most people will happly drive their trucks for years if they arn't having problems and never post.
If you work on your own truck,these are great,simple to work on parts are cheap,look great ride awsome,and get better milage then any of the new trucks with diesels.If you don't work on your own,they still are a good truck,with this site for info,shop time to change any componant will be cheaper than the new trucks,less plumbing,don't have to remove the cab ect.
Plus you can buy a complete new engin for the price of an injector job on a duramax.
If you plan on pulling a huge trailer or huge wieght then you may want a different truck.You can improve the power of the 6.5 alittle but expecting it to pull with the new trucks is a bit of a chore.
Great truck for economy,light hauling,and keeping $$$ in your walet
Good Luck Thomas

More Power
08-28-2010, 12:53
I am first time diesel owner. My truck has 160,000 on it, runs strong has good oil pressure, does not run hot.
But I have been reading horror stories about 98 6.5l cracking blocks or heads. Is their any truth to a large no. of engines being at risk. what I am wondering should i get out while i am ahead.
thanks

Welcome to the board!

Everything Yukon said - great reply!

Jim

6.5TDTahoe
08-28-2010, 14:15
Well 1997 & years up have improved head gasket design. To me that somewhat lessons the chance of a coolant leak, in the combustion chamber or from the compression ratio.Since the 97 changes. If you want to improve go to the 1999/2000 year improvements in the water pump,'fan clutch & a DuraMax fan blade. Be sure to determine that you have no leaking fuel injectors to cause individual cylinder over heating. There is a reason when a failure occurs,eliminating the reason before hand is where to focus attention. If you do this work just do the timing chain /gears also ! JMO

DaveBr
08-28-2010, 18:05
So I would be curious to know what the improvements are for 1999/2000 over the 1997/1998?

6.5TDTahoe
08-28-2010, 20:01
Water pump with screw on pump mounted,fan clutch & composite fan blade. Final GM cooling up grades for 6.5 engine. Only use AC Delco 192 degree thermostats & DEX COOL.