PDA

View Full Version : DId my IP just die?

JeepSJ
08-25-2010, 23:25
Hello everyone! Been a while since I've been on here. The old DieselWag has just been chugging along. I've got about 50K miles on the swap and still loving it.

Until this evening. I know my DB2-4911 has been on its way out as it has the dreaded hot-start problem. Some water on the IP and she fires right up though. Went through it last summer. Didn't have the problem over the winter, and this summer it has gotten progressively worse. Over the past couple days, it has had this strange behavior of surging when I first hit the throttle. If I'm sitting at a light, when I go to accelerate it feels like I just mash the throttle for about a second then it calms down.

So tonight it did that same thing on two consecutive stops. Then cruising down the road it surged a couple times then totally quit. Pulled over and cranked it and there was zero indication that it wanted to fire. Dumped some water on the IP and still nothing. After I sat for about 20 min, I tried it and it fired, but it was running horribly - I had to keep on the accelerator to keep it running and it was just spewing black smoke. I got it turned around and headed back home and went only about a hundred yards before it quit again. Called a buddy and we towed it home. It won't fire at all now. I have fuel to the IP, the filters were changed about 5K miles ago and there is no water or any sediment visible in the bowls, and fuel pressure to the IP is about 6psi (which is what I have always had).

Checking the fuel supply was as far as I was able to go tonight. What else should I check? At this point, I'm thinking that the IP just took a dump.

Mark

rameye
08-26-2010, 05:19
No codes??...think PMD

ToddMeister
08-26-2010, 06:12
No codes??...think PMD

No PMD, it's a DB2...

Crack an injector line or two while cranking to see if fuel is being pumped at all to the injector(s)

Sounds like the pump is worn out.

rameye
08-26-2010, 12:13
No PMD, it's a DB2...

Touche'

Good eye

JeepSJ
08-27-2010, 17:05
A little more info...

Cracked open injector lines (the 6 that I can easily get to) and they are all getting fuel when cranking. Hooked up to a 2nd battery (I only have 1 battery in the vehicle) and it cranked faster and sounded like it wanted to fire. Soaked the pump with ice water and she fired. Ran rough and smoked (black) but kept it going enough to drive it 5 miles to get it home. Let it sit overnight and cranked with no start this morning.

IP rebuild time! Ugh. Well, it gives me an excuse to finally fix the timing cover that has been leaking since I installed the engine.

DmaxMaverick
08-27-2010, 17:53
It does sound like the pump took a dump. Do yourself a favor and DON"T run it until it's replaced. You run the risk of trashing all the injectors.