PDA

View Full Version : Transmission code P0741

hollandti
08-25-2010, 05:05
Can someone answer a question for me. I just recently had my transmission service on my 2006 chevy diesel with the allison tran. 2500 HD.
New oil, new spin off filter and the enclosed filter.
The other day I was driving and it surged a little while pulling my boat, the the engine light came on. After the surge it went on and nothing else happen, but the light stayed on. The next day, while taking it into town to have it checked the light went out. How ever it did throw a code P0741 which was the "Toque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off " The code was cleared out, and was told to keep driving it to see if it came back, however when driving it now, it does seem to not want to go into overdive. Will this hurt if I contuine to keep driving it to see if the code will come back? Or what else should I do.
Thank you for you help

rat4go
08-25-2010, 06:19
Most of the time, codes like this will set after a fluid change because the new fluid has 'cleaned' some gunk off something and it gets stuck in a valve for a while. Odds are you're still getting overdrive, but not the TCC apply. If this is the case, you will probably set the P0741 again if I understand the code correctly.

To determine if you've lost Overdrive or if it's just TCC still off, you can play one of the following games:

I think the 6-speed alli (that's what you have in a 2006 truck, right?) had the manual mode....can you put it in M6 and drive it at a speed that you should have overdrive, then tap to M5 and see if it shifts....if so, you have top gear.

If you have the 5-speed Alli, then you need to push and hold the T/H button for ~3 seconds to disable top gear. On my 2003 truck, the 5-4 shift is pretty obvious when watching the tach at 50 mph.

If you really don't have TCC, running around with TCC off will be worse for fuel econ, and I wouldn't want to tow or haul anything heavy without TCC and I wouldn't suggest a X-country trip, but it shouldn't hurt anything for a day or so while you see what's going on.

What did you/they put in it for fluid? Tell me they didn't 'backflush' the trans!

hollandti
08-25-2010, 08:07
No sir they did not flush the transmission. Right before I had it check the light went out, but it still showed the code and they reset it to see if it comes back.
I had DEXRON VI is what the manual calls for. I believe he said he put in 8 quarts.
I was pulling a boat when this happen. I sometimes pull a 28' camper and in about 3 weeks I'll be pulling the camper about 700 miles.
Maybe what you said about changing the oil is what happen and will no longer have the code back. Or if it does it will give me enough time to correct the issue.
I appreciate you help.

jmac5058
08-25-2010, 09:16
I would deffinatly hook up the camper and run the hell out of it well before hitting the road for 700 miles.

hollandti
08-26-2010, 06:42
Yesterday, I drove the truck about 120 miles round trip without pulling, it seems to be working fine.

So I was concerned about pulling with it, so I hooked up to my RV and pulled it about 30 miles start/stop/slow down/speed up with highway and interstate driving.

I live on top of a mountain and it down shifted alright when coming down, then coming back up I took the steeper side with a few of them (kiss your butt curves) it seem to all work fine.

And so far no light or no code came back. Maybe, hopefully it was just a piece of trash or something.

Thanks for your help.