PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchase a 97 GMC Suburban

ThePIGSmith
08-20-2010, 15:56
I have been searching for a 1995 to 1999 Suburban to replace my POS '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee as my DD and Family Trippster.

Of course there are none close by, so I have been searching online.
I found a 1997 GMC Suburban that has all the features I was looking for and in my favorite color.
Of course is not close me, so I wrote and asked many questions.

The vehicle appears to be bone stock and the dealer does not know if the PMD Module has been relocated or a heatsink installed.
The thought of a 6.5T with a 149.xxx miles on the clock with the original injector pump scares me some.

The only issue the dealer told me about was the following:
"I had it scanned and the shop told me that either the crank position sensor was going bad or the sensor for the injector pump was. They could not determine which it was."

So, I do not know what the code it threw.
The price is $8200

While I have not seen this vehicle up close, it appears to be in good shape, no rust, leather interior in good shape, dual A/C blows cold.
While this is the only one I saw that I really liked and deep in my heart, I think I need pass on unless I could see it up close, get a complete mechanical look over and haggle on the price.

My question is what would the code be that their scanner would have thrown that could be a considered a sensor failure?

Any comments, opinions, suggestions or flames are most welcome.

...or tell me about a moderate low mile Suburban that has leather, third row seats, dual A/C and other amenities to make a good DD that is in the Midwest and a decent price.

KallyI
08-21-2010, 12:14
IMO, the price is good, IF it has no codes, IF the Injection pump is for sure working well.
If they won't drop the price to reflect the cost of a new injection pump, I'd walk away.
Again, that's my opinion. :D

JTodd
08-31-2010, 19:39
That seems a bit pricey for a truck that old. I think I paid $7200 for my 96, and that was 6 years ago. I got a great deal on it, but still. Where is it, maybe someone can take a closer look for you.

6.5TDTahoe
09-01-2010, 10:25
Get the Warranty / service history from the GM dealer.Take the VIN to their parts dept for print out. Also get the Injection Pump part # to verify its history.

ISEEDIT
09-28-2010, 06:16
I have one I'd consider selling - '99 model 1500 4x4 in good machanical shape, little rust under door panels starting. 189000 miles - Otherwise dependable. . . .
repond to this and I"ll get you my cell # . . .