PDA

View Full Version : Leaking fuel tank

arveetek
08-19-2010, 20:39
The fuel tank on my Tahoe just started leaking. It's slowly dripping right out the bottom of the tank. I can't see where the actual leak is, due to the plastic tank protector. It sounds like there's some small rocks lodged between the plastic and the tank. They've probably rubbed some weak spots into the tank.

I'm having trouble locating a new tank. LMC shows one for around $200. GM tells me they're no longer available through them. Even more trouble to locate is a new sending unit. My gauge has been acting goofy lately, so I figured I might as well replace it at the same time. GM wants over $500 for a new one, LMC doesn't carry one, but I still need to do some more shopping around with the regular parts houses.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Casey

trbankii
08-19-2010, 21:17
RockAuto has tanks (both 25 and 34 gallon and both fore and aft of the rear axle) for around $100 to $150 - Spectra Premium, Dorman, and Fineline - and sending units for $60 to $70 from the same vendors.

Those are just the tank and sending unit, so if the prices you were quoted were for kits including more parts that may raise the price a bit. But they seem to have about everything you'd need.

arveetek
08-20-2010, 06:39
I believe what you looked up are for gasoline tanks only.

The two door Tahoes only use a specific 30 gallon tank located behind the axle. I believe it's the only option.

Perhaps that's what is making it difficult. The diesel tanks have a different part # as well. I'm assuming this is due to a larger fill pipe?

What's funny is that my tank didn't leak a drop overnight, but it left a large puddle at work yesterday. I think I need to drop the straps and plastic protector and take a look at what's going on. The sides of the tank are dry all around, so it doesn't appear to be coming from the top and sloshing over the sides.

Casey

trbankii
08-20-2010, 07:42
Sorry, I had my truck bookmarked on RockAuto, so those are the pickup tanks. But they are for the diesel engine. Putting your information in, this (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1051210,parttype,6268) is what I come up with.

It does say 30 gallon, but doesn't say specifically that it is for diesel. The Spectra and Dorman parts have pictures available, but they're different.

arveetek
08-20-2010, 07:45
Okay, after searching a bit more through Rock Auto, I did find the correct diesel tank and sending unit for reasonable prices. I called my local auto supplier, and gave them the part #'s I found, but they still couldn't help me. I guess most of the major auto supply warehouses don't sell enough diesel tanks for 2 door Tahoes to warrant stocking them, or even entering the part #'s into the system.

It looks like Rock Auto will be my best bet if I do need a tank. I'll drop the "skid plate" this weekend and check it out for sure.

Casey

Yukon6.2
08-20-2010, 07:51
Hi
You can do a temporary repair if you can find the leak.Then you can do more serching for a replacement.
I have had good luck using Seal All on gas tanks and diesel.Many years use after patching them.
I clean the tank as best i can with wire brush or sand paper,put a small amount on your finger and hold it against the leak till it stops or slows,repete till you get it pretty much stopped.Then take a piece of paper towel,or if you have some J cloth.Use it like a patch,cover it in Seal All and apply to area that was leaking.Let it dry and cover with another patch or a final coat of Seal All.
One Tank i fixed on an old truck of mine lasted over ten years.
Good luck
Thomas

arveetek
08-23-2010, 06:01
I dropped the plastic liner this weekend, and the whole bottom of the tank is covered in surface rust. The plastic was supposed to protect the tank, but actually sped up the demise by trapping water and debris. I couldn't see just one place where the fuel was leaking from. It's more like slowly seeping out all over.

I've got a new tank and sending unit coming from Rock Auto now.

Casey

arveetek
08-27-2010, 18:26
I placed the order with Rock Auto on Monday, and received the parts on Thursday. This afternoon I replaced the tank and sending unit. The new parts fit perfectly, and it only took me a couple of hours. It was actually pretty easy.

The tank and sending unit cost $259 sent to my door. I spent a bit more for a Dorman tank, hoping it was a bit better quality than the cheaper Spectra tank.

I drove the Tahoe 'til it was nearly empty, and then was able to drop the tank with little fuss. After installing the new tank, I filled it with 11 gallons of fresh diesel I picked up on the way home today. I opened the bleed valve on the front of the engine, pushed my fuel pump button (Kennedy's fuel pump harness makes jobs like this a breeze!), and bled the lines a little. Engine started right up and never even stumbled.

Casey