PDA

View Full Version : New rear diff cover

Dawg
08-13-2010, 13:27
I need to change out my rear diff fluid. This time I was thinking about adding an after market cover to get a little extra cooling. I tow a lot during the hot summer months. Do I really need it? Doubtful. Long as I'm under the truck and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I figure why not. Mag-Hytec seems to be popular. I think ATS has one as well. Any thoughts on which way to go.

Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
08-13-2010, 13:48
Do you need it? No. It's a "nice to have" item, and they do cost an arm and a leg (for what they are, IMO). If you keep up your regular service, according to your use, and use quality/correct lubes. Cooler temps are great, but not required if the correct lube is used and it's serviced as needed.

Dawg
08-13-2010, 17:38
I do keep up on all the fluid changes and do most work myself. I agree they seem a little over priced for what they are. I really should be putting the $$ toward Kennedy's econ/tow tune. Someday I will make that happen.

I know the ATS adds an additional 2.5 qts. If I don't hear of any negative responses, I'll probably shop around and pick one up. Re-fill with Syn Mobil-1 and be go to go.

topfueler1
08-23-2010, 11:56
I just bought the Mag-Hytech from XDP (Extreme Diesel Performance) lowest price around plus 10% off sale free UPS s&h. No I'm sure it's not necessary. But hey it looks bad and you can check the oil with the magnetic dip stick and run a diff. temp. gauge from it. I'm gonna run Amsoil Extreme Syn. 75-110. Amsoil is all I use. I'm a preferred customer so I get it next to wholesale.