PDA

View Full Version : hub caps????

Shed
08-12-2010, 09:32
the other day I made a 20 mile trip into the hardware store. Upon turning into said hardware store, a nice gentleman informed me my hubcaps had come off. Sure enough I was missing 3 and the 4th I simply pulled off. I found all of the missing 3 within a block of the store. Very odd. So how does everyone else keep these damn things on? Lock tite? Would that be ok on those plastic nuts? ANY ideas or solutions are appriciated. Next time I fear I won't be so lucky to find them.... Shed

DmaxMaverick
08-12-2010, 12:13
Interesting they all loosened or fell off at the same time. Have you had your tires replaced/rotated lately? Most tire shops either over or under tighten them (in the interest of speed, if you're not watching), which leaves them prone to loosen and fall off. Many of them remove, and sometimes install, the nuts with the air impact wrench, which almost always destroys the nuts sooner or later. The only way to tighten them is by hand, with or without a socket/extension (depending on the ability of your hands). They should be tightened only until snug, then to the nearest detent (which prevents loosening). I do not suggest using Loc-Tite (which is super-glue, of sorts), as you will need to R/R them again, and again. If the threads are damaged, you can wrap the lug nut threads with tape to snug it up, or replace the nuts ($$ at the dealer, much less at www.lmctruck.com). Some folks have gone as far as drilling/tapping the wheel so a bolt(s) can be used to keep it from falling off. Completely stripped plastic nuts can be glued (epoxy, J-B Weld, etc.) in place, if the caps are secured with bolts.

I have aftermarket caps now (Centerline, matched to the wheels, and use bolts), but I always remove my caps (OEM and current) before turning the truck over to the tire shop. I sold/traded my OEM caps years ago, but they were like new after about 18 months of use and several R/R's. This cap design has been in use since the 1990's on all GM truck models (and a few cars).