PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Overheating!!!! I'm Thinking the Worst???

Shaun091382
04-30-2005, 09:04
Hi, I had my truck sitting for a couple of weeks and I went to start it up today and noticed it was producing a little more then usual bluish/white smoke. After letting it idle for 10 min I figured it was old fuel burning off and decided to take it for a run. After taking it up to 55mph i noticed the temp gauge approaching redline so I backed off the throttle and it went down to between first and midway on the gauge as soon as I got it home the low coolant light was on and I could smell antifreeze I shut off the truck and popped the hood the coolant reservoir was completely full and it was bubbling inside the reservoir I could hear also a hissing/bubbling sound from under the rad cap. There was no visible leakage underneath the truck but the antifreeze will not get out of the reservoir and it has been sitting now for an hour when I start the truck the antifreeze just bubbles in the reservoir. From the description I gave and from what I read I'm thinking head gaskets anyone care to give me there take on it? thanks for the input truck has 342,000km on it and it's a 1993 so its probably true thanks for your help,

Shaun

[ 04-30-2005, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Shaun091382 ]

markrinker
04-30-2005, 09:43
Bummer.

Well, now is the time to build/buy a NEW MONSTER motor!!!

With those miles, I'd consider a new longblock with 18:1 pistons and all the upgrades.

Shaun091382
04-30-2005, 11:09
Yea rebuilding is a nice option for sure but I'm just a young lad and this truck has sucked a small fortune out of me time for her to go...can anyone help me identify the problem ? would like to hear more input thanks,

shaun

charliepeterson
04-30-2005, 12:57
It does sound like a head gasket leak. When the truck completely cools off, start it up and try squeezing the top radiator hose. It should stay soft until the thermostat opens. After a few minutes of idling and it gets hard than you've got exhaust gasses getting into the coolant system.
When the low coolant light came on with a full tank it sounds like the sensor got fouled up from the gasses too. Take a look at the tail pipe for white smoke when it's running.

If the truck ran good before this happened it might be worth fixing it. I wouldn't skimp on parts here. I hate going to the dealer for anything but this is one area where you want good parts. Don't re-use the head bolts either. If this ever happens again while your on the road turn on the heater in the truck full blast to help get rid of the heat even if it's in the dead of summer. Heat is the biggest killer of these engines.

Flush out the coolant, change the engine oil and you should be back on the road again.

Good Luck

Shaun091382
04-30-2005, 13:23
Yeah the truck started up with some bluish/grey smoke which i was just assuming was stale fuel since it had not run in the last 2 weeks but after i got it home she was blowing white pretty good and the exhaust smelled of coolant. I let the truck idle and watched the coolant boil in the resevoir and listened to the gurgling under the rad cap. After I shut it off I checked the oil but there was no sign of any mixture of water or coolant with the oil..it was just as black as the ace of spades but it smelled a little burnt. Everything is pointing in the direction of a headgasket gone bad..but after putting in a new tranny, and a fuel system this young lad is tapped :( so I'm afraid I have to part with it now thanks for all the input,

Shaun

Shaun091382
05-01-2005, 07:42
If anyone is interested in buying let me know I am considering all offers thanks for your interest,

Shaun

Ryan Colley
05-02-2005, 10:00
Shaun - sorry to hear of your troubles. I too have been the victim of investing a small fortune in GM diesels. In my case it was a 1995. Your 1993 is considered by many to be one of the best years for the 6.5 (mechanical injection plus turbo). If I were you I would do some scouting around for a used engine, that way you don't have to break the bank. With the knowledge and expertise on this website you will be able to keep her going for a long time. I just saw a good early 1990's 6.2 engine in the classifieds for $800 bucks. Not bad. Where in Ontario are you located?

Shaun091382
05-02-2005, 14:34
I am in southwestern ontario on lake huron...but I am feeling I've had enough of the diesel scene and I think my calling is to get out soon! it has been a decent truck though

Dvldog 8793
05-02-2005, 15:00
Shaun-
I might be interested....
Get me some details and a starting price. I need to replace my welding truck and this might be the answer the both of us!
Email me direct at " the_janssens at earthlink.net "
L8r
Conley