PDA

View Full Version : Pulling out a 6.5 for a project

ThatOneGuy
08-02-2010, 10:14
Im gona pull out a 6.5 with 5 speed manual out of a 93 2500 chevy and Im gona put it in an 83 suburban. Its a running engine with 200,000 miles but I want to run it a few monther before I pull it out and do a performance re-build.

Just wondering what you guys would suggest, should I pull the pan and check bearings and look for cracks right away which Ill probly do anyways, is there anything else to look for? I know the turbos got excessive slop and Ill look for a bigger better upgrade when the time comes.

Thanks
Joe

More Power
08-02-2010, 11:07
The factory 6.5 turbo system won't fit the 80's chassis very well. I'd recommend locating a Banks turbo kit (new or used).

Otherwise, if the engine ran well and had normal oil pressure, I'd not open it unless you need to for some other reason.

Jim

ThatOneGuy
08-02-2010, 13:00
ok, I guess if it dont fit, I am a pretty good fabricator and know people that are much better than me and I plan on an intercooler down the road so I could fab a header system up to re-locate things but Ill have to worrie bout that when it actually is in the frame rail.

The engine ran cool with good oil pressure the hour I had it runing and the only reason the farmer retired it is the starter or ring gear went outa it, so its a hill start lol.

Thanks
Joe

Robyn
08-02-2010, 14:39
The engine will drop right in and go to work.

The issue is that the turbo manifold sits the turbo too far back on the RH side if the truck has AC without AC it will work.

The down pipe has to drop to the outside of the frame and then sneak back underneith the rig.

The Banks turbo setup works well even with the AC system.

Like Jim mentioned, if the engine runs ok, leave it together.

BUTTTTTTT at 200K miles the head gaskets are likely at the end of their string and while the engine is out you could stuff in a fresh set of gaskets with ease as compared to having the engine in the truck.

If the bottom (pan) is dry, leave it alone.

Once you start digging, there is no good place to stop.

Missy