PDA

View Full Version : A Noob Starting Glow plugs

isubot
07-20-2010, 20:00
I have just purchased my 1st diesel truck . It's a 06 Chevrolet 2500HD. I have heard about glow plugs and how not to turn the ingintion on until the plugs have warmed up. So my question is, Do I have to wait for the glow plugs to warm up in this truck? I don't see any icon indicating the plugs are warmed up. Thanks for your help.

winemaker
07-20-2010, 22:18
Yes you do, but in the summer, they'll warm so quickly, you may not notice the icon lit up on the dash. There isn't an icon to tell you they're warm, just an icon telling you the glow plugs are warming. When they're warm, the icon disappears.

If your cluster is the same as my 2005, I'm pretty sure it is, the glowplug light appears illuminated in orange on the top left of the cluster above the airbag icon illuminated in red. It looks like a "sketch" of about 2 1/2 coils of a stretched spring.

I paused part way through writing this to go to my truck and check so I could get the specifics right for you and the glowplug light came on and off so quickly, I had to turn the key 3 times to varify, and I know what I'm looking for!

I drove my truck about an hour ago and it's about 70 degrees or so outside this evening. I bought this truck in January, so I've seen a handfull of cold morning starts, and even then, the glowplug light is only on for 2 or 3 seconds.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Brett

jmac5058
07-21-2010, 04:15
I doubt starting the truck while the glowplugs are still on will do anything other make it start a bit slower,not something that matters in mid-summer.

JohnC
07-21-2010, 08:37
Even on a cold day, 3 seconds is about all you need. If you "forget" nothing bad happens.

isubot
07-21-2010, 19:03
Thanks a lot for the tips. I should have mentioned I live in Florida...lol It is super hot here. I saw in the manual the icon for the glow plugs like you described but haven't seen it on the speedom/dash. I have been turning the key and waiting for a few seconds before starting. Thanks again for the help.

THEFERMANATOR
07-21-2010, 23:14
On a 06 the glow plugs don't even come on until about 40-50 degrees outside, and even then it is only for a second or two. The 06+ trucks use the rapid heating glow plugs, and they get HOT FAST! Until DECEMBER comes around, you won't probably ever see the light come on.

isubot
07-22-2010, 20:26
Your right I don't even see it come on. Probably in December is when I'll see it come on.

jmac5058
08-05-2010, 03:56
The icon for the glowplugs warm is no icon.Once it turns off your ready.Even in summer get use to going thru the glowplug warm-up routien so that becomes part of start-up,heck I even warm-up the glowplugs when starting my wifes 4-runner.

More Power
08-05-2010, 16:20
I have just purchased my 1st diesel truck . It's a 06 Chevrolet 2500HD. I have heard about glow plugs and how not to turn the ingintion on until the plugs have warmed up. So my question is, Do I have to wait for the glow plugs to warm up in this truck? I don't see any icon indicating the plugs are warmed up. Thanks for your help.

The Duramax will start down to well below freezing without the need for glow plugs. But, glow plugs do help the engine start when cold, and their operation will help to reduce white smoke. The glow system won't be damaged if you crank the engine before the first glow cycle has been completed, but I nearly always let the "wait to start" lamp go out before cranking.

Jim

DmaxMaverick
08-05-2010, 17:14
Just to add to the "don't worry about it" crowd....

For about 3 or 4 years now, I completely forget about the glow plugs (most of the time). Insert key...Crank. Never missed a start. I did some testing while on a trip up north a couple winters ago and had the opportunity to try this down to about -10°F (after the engine had not been ran for several hours, and close to ambient temp). Still, no problem getting started. It was a bit smoky and rough at first, but smoothed out after about 15 seconds of running. The GP's and intake heater will continue to cycle until all the temp values are met. I only did this once to satisfy my own curiosity. After that, every cold start below freezing, I "wait to start". On a 2001 LB7, this can be up to about 15 seconds at 0° and below, but only a few seconds near 40°. Above 40°, there is almost no noticeable difference, with or w/o the wait. A 2006 model has a bit lower compression, but the glow system is so fast, compared to 2001, it probably won't make a difference how you do it, other than the coldest of cold starts.

(for comparison)
My 1985 with 6.2L is a different story. It won't start below about 85° without at least 4 good plugs (which will start it in just about any temp), but above 95°, no plugs needed at all. The glow plug system on this one is fully manual. The 1995 with 6.5L requires at least 6 plugs to start at 90°, even when the engine is warm, and it has the OEM controlled system and Quick Heat plugs. Two 5.7L's I had would start w/o plugs at any engine temp above about 70°. The 1980 5.7L Diesel pickup I had would push/pull-start at just about any temp (which was really handy a few times).

There were some changes over the years to cause the various glow cycle needs. Earlier engines were higher compression (more cylinder heat at lower RPM's), and the compression was dropped over the model years. Fuel pressure was increased over the years, but not enough to significantly improve starting. The Duramax engines start at nearly 3X the cranking speed fuel pressure of the previous engines.

trproffitt
09-23-2012, 07:44
My wts light stays on for at least 20 seconds even in 70* weather and I'm wondering where a temperature sensor plug may be?