PDA

View Full Version : Clunk

winemaker
07-17-2010, 16:01
I'm not sure if I have a problem or not....

I've been driving manual transmissions for quite some time. My "new" truck is the first auto I've had in years. When I start rolling pretty mildly out of my neighborhood, I'll often hear a clunk.

It sounds just like when a brake is sticky and breaks free under power, but it sounds like it's coming from the transmission area. Is this normal? Is it torque converter? IS there a driveline e-brake like on my old landcruiser that is sticky?

I have 2 more years' extended warranty. Should I be taking this in ( 1-1/2 hours away) for a look-see?

Apart from this, my truck drives perfectly. No problems at speed, under load, in tow-haul grade-braking, etc. Just this clunk that makes me a little nervous...

Thanks, all
Brett

DmaxMaverick
07-17-2010, 17:00
Spring wrap caused by the tranny output yoke. Remove it and lube the spline liberally with some high pressure lithium grease. Reinstall. Done.

jmac5058
07-19-2010, 02:00
I think greasing the spline is the first step to take when clunking or vibration occurs in the tranny - driveshaft area,there are a fue diffrent symptoms that grease will help with,and greasing is about as cheap and easy as it gets.A good place to start.

winemaker
07-20-2010, 10:19
Thanks! I'll give it a look next weekend.

Cheers!
Brett