PDA

View Full Version : Can Starter Solenoid Be Bypassed?

joed
07-15-2010, 08:27
Dumb ?, but can you directly engage the starter from a remote, Ford-style solenoid and bypass the starter mounted one?

I'm experiencing slower cranking, especially when the engine is warm/hot - thinking heat soak is affecting the starter/solenoid.

I'm guessing it's not this simple, but since I have a Ford-type solenoid laying around I thought it might be worth a shot before I throw in the towel and have the starter rebuilt.

Is the large cable that goes from the solenoid to the starter body just a ground?

Thanks in advance.

Joe.

JohnC
07-15-2010, 18:07
No. On the GM starter the solenoid does double duty; mechanically engages the drive and energizes the motor.

(Technically, the Ford style is a relay, not a solenoid, since it does not have a mechanical function.)

rustyk
07-15-2010, 21:10
Try cleaning your chassis grounds for the battery.

joed
07-16-2010, 06:25
Thanks.

That's what I thought about the solenoid.

I'll double check the grounds.

Joe.

Robyn
07-16-2010, 06:33
As mentioned.

Check the battery grounds, as well as all the other battery cables.

The side terminal cables are noted for failing in places under the jacket where you cant see the corrosion.

I have seen the crimped on ground EYE's at the block end of the ground cables fail and still look perfectly fine.

Also your starter may be taking a poop.

My advice is, if the cables are the factory ones with a lot of time on them, is to replace the lot of them with all new cable.

00 welding cable with soldered on copper eye's is a great way to go.

A new set of factory cables wil be fine but, the issues will return over time.

All it takes is one + cable or one ground on these to fail or become compromisd and things get hinky in a hurry.

As John mentioned, the solenoid does 2 things.

Now I have used a Ford starter relay to take the stress off the ignition key switch.

Wire the Ford relay up so that the key switch energizes it and use the heavy terminals from the relay to feed the solenoid terminal on the starter.

Feed the relay directly off the battery and then run to the solenoids small terminal (normally connected to the key switch) This allows full battery power with max amps to reach the solenoid and get it pulled in tight.

This setup helps a lot to keep the solenoid from arcing due to low power.

Missy

NH2112
07-16-2010, 07:23
Here's one of the cables I made for my F350. The smaller cable (1ga, IIRC) goes to the starter relay on the fender. These are just crimped, not soldered.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee245/NH2112/photo-1.jpg

I used actual 00 battery cable, not welding cable, because the jacket on welding cable tends to absorb oil and turn to a sticky mess.

joed
07-16-2010, 11:37
All good suggestions.

I'll give em a shot.

Thanks. Joe.