PDA

View Full Version : performance chip

gilbertmonchat
04-28-2005, 10:20
chip , chip, chip,
how to make good choice of performance chip for a 1995 6.5 turbodiesel, everyone say theirs are the best (BD POWER....HEALT DIESELPOWER ......SS DIESEL SUPPLY....DSG DIESELCANADA.......KENNEDY DIESEL) some annonce 20hp,some 40hp ,and some 80hp, who say right???????????

More Power
04-28-2005, 13:45
If I had one recommendation to make, it would be to visit the Advertisers Page (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm), and consider one of those vendors. They offer the best products, best service and they support TDP. smile.gif

MP

gilbertmonchat
04-28-2005, 14:36
thank but i saw that before and dosen't answer my dilemma

99gmccrew
04-28-2005, 14:55
Gilbert, I would do a search on performance chips. This subject has brought on some very heated debates in the recent past and I think people are a little gun shy to open this can of worms all over again. The two most popular vendors for this upgrade seem to be Kennedy and Heath diesel. Both are good, one uses electronic boost control, the other uses mechanical boost control. Its all preference.

99gmccrew

gilbertmonchat
04-28-2005, 15:09
thank 99gmccrew, but i don't anderstand the link between le chip and the system boost type.
the chip of HEALT with mechanical boost control,
the chip of KENNEDEY with electric boost control

99gmccrew
04-28-2005, 15:31
I'm not an expert on this subject Gilbert, but my understanding of it is as follows: Heath Diesel uses a mechanical device to raise boost pressures for better performance. Kennedy Diesel prefers electronic boost control which uses the stock vacuum pump. The mechanical device bypasses the vacuum system altogether. The electronic boost controller is easier to adjust I'm told. Both do the same job in different styles. The 6.5l seems to really like higher than stock boost pressures but you need to be aware of your EGT's. Especially if you dont' have charged air cooling ie; intercooler.

99gmccrew

damork
04-28-2005, 17:17
I don't see BD Power saying much anymore about the chips I have (RV and Race), but I have been running the BD Race chip in mine for 150,000 miles and have never looked back. It even improves low speed operation, the throttle is more responsive.

I'm sure there are others with lots of miles on aftermarket chips. Once I plugged in their Race chip it transformed my truck into what it should have been from the beginning. I have far more capability than I ever tap into, but if I really want to go it is there. It will reach 12-14 lbs boost if I push it.

freddys
04-28-2005, 23:51
I have been testing and running Wester

JeffsTowTruck
04-29-2005, 02:12
I DO NOT HAVE A CHIP EITHER. I WAS WONDERING IF THE ECM HAS BEEN REWORKED FOR THE INTERCOOLER CAN YOU STILL PUT THE CHIP IN WITHOUT HURTING OR CAUSING ANY PROBLEMS.( ELECTRONICLY, NOT MOTOR )

99GMCCREW LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOTH. DID YOU HAVE THE ECM REFLASHED FOR THE INTERCOOLER ? IF SO, BEFORE OR AFTER YOU GOT THE CHIP ? :confused:

99gmccrew
04-29-2005, 07:23
Jeff, I have not gotten the reflash yet. I only have the Kennedy boost controller. I want to step up to the plate and get the reflashed ECM but I'm pretty happy with the performance right now. With the intercooler the computer is not cutting back on the fuel because the AIT's are much lower than without the IC. The 99 program is pretty good, but the members are telling me that there is room for improvement. I'm probably going to do it before the year is up. If I had no kids, I'd do it right now. I'm just trying not to be selfish. smile.gif

99gmccrew

patrick m.
04-29-2005, 14:16
the order of progress is this:

1) exhaust system
2) air box
3) guages-- boost and EGT min
4) chip. (or re-flash depending on your year model). If you get JK's or Heath's version, you can get max fuel and boost programmed into the chip.
5) INTERCOOLER....about 10 minutes after you install the chip ;)

most will stop at this point, so we wont start the touchy subject of turbo upgrades :D

99gmccrew
04-29-2005, 14:53
Patrick, Just for the sake of dicussion. And I may be splitting hairs here. But, wouldn't it make sense to get the IC first to further protect your investments? Without the IC, if towing for example, you could damage your engine, even if you had gauges. Some of us might just push a little harder to get to the top of that ridge before we let off of the pedal. I may be in the minority, but I would think the IC would come before the chip. smile.gif

99gmccrew

gilbertmonchat
04-29-2005, 18:36
the same subjet, but to many versions, :confused: :confused: :confused: not easy for the layman

patrick m.
04-30-2005, 09:44
99gmccrew, the intercooler is a definite MUST have i agree.

most of us dont mind the $100 to $300 add ons, but reaching into the pocket for over a grand is tough. After seeing results of other upgrades, and learning about this engine, you realize what an intercooler could do.

If a guy needs or wants more power from this engine, the intercooler is a MUST!

gilbertmonchat
04-30-2005, 11:45
ok for the intercooler, but is it normal to pay more than 1000.00 for a ...RAD..., intercooler it's only a radiator for air, not more or maybe i don't go on some good website :(

charliepeterson
04-30-2005, 12:28
I've found out through testing and trial and error that the OBD I programs are stingy on fuel (65mm @ WOT). When you upgrade the ECM "chip" (80mm @ WOT) it makes a BIG difference. If the truck has an EGR valve, than scale it. I tried blocking off the exhaust ports feeding the valve but they did leak through somewhat and started fouling up the intake with soot. The best way is to go to a "bone yard" and acquire a heavy duty intake, top and bottom. This will bolt right up and should only take about two hours total. Don't forget a new gasket set from any auto store. This intake looks the same except no EGR port.

Another requirement from the "hot" chip is to disable the EGR system. This is done by programming the "F" engine code series. They don't use the EGR and the truck's ECM won't look for it so the SES light won't come on.

This chip will or should also increase line pressure when needed in the transmission to keep it from slipping which will cause excess heat and shorten it's life.

You see there's more to a "hot" chip than you think. The most important requirement though is an exhaust pyrometer.

After or really before all this takes place upgrade the entire exhaust system. The next time your under the truck take a look at the down pipe coming off the turbo heading to the back. Every truck looks like this from the factory, some are worse than others. Look for a mandrel bent system.

I think the mechanical waste gate system is more reliable than the electronic/vacuum system. You can dial in any boost setting you want in five minutes or less.

99gmccrew
04-30-2005, 14:52
That's a good point Patrick, I didn't even think about the money aspect of it. These mods add up quickly$$$. That's the reason I had to fabricate my own intercooler system. Mine cost about half as much as the kits sold, but I think mine would only have worked on the 1-ton frame 2wd. I try to save money whenever possible without sacrificing quality. I must say it's very rewarding doing these upgrades, especially when you can really feel the difference.

Charlie makes a great point about the fuel delivery and increased line pressure for the trans. Putting down the 500+ for the reflash might prolong my tranny life and suffice my need for speed and "More Power". I hope you're questions are being answered Gilbert. :D

Patrick, where did you get that hood? Is it fiber glass or sheet metal. I want one!

99gmccrew

JeffsTowTruck
04-30-2005, 15:37
SORRY TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT BUT YOU DID ASK.
99GMCCREW MINE IS STEEL AND HERE IS THE LINK
http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/HomePage.html
THEY ARE NOT JUST FOR LOOKS EITHER. I CUT OUT MY INSULATION AND IT HELPS KEEP THE COOL AIR COMING IN.

patrick m.
04-30-2005, 18:31
99gmccrew, that hood is a steel "Keystone" hood. Couple of years ago we had a stong storm with hail, cost to repair hood was too much, and new G.M. hood was too much. I decided if i was going to get an aftermarket hood, it would have to be this.

cost about $280 bucks, add paint and of course the "6.5 DIESEL TURBO" decals ;)

Some will claim hoods that cheap must be....cheap. fit is very good, it is a little lite, but i dont think thats a problem. in fact a little less weight doesnt hurt this truck :D

gilbertmonchat
04-30-2005, 19:12
99gmccrew, you make your own intercooler,what size you think was the good one to be very efficient, and you put it....if you have some pictures :cool:

gilbertmonchat
04-30-2005, 19:18
and where you put it ...i mean ;) ......sorry

99gmccrew
04-30-2005, 20:52
Gilbert, click on the link in my profile. You can see the intercooler installion. I bought the intercooler, tubing,and all on ebay.

Thanks for the hood info above guys. They look really good on these trucks.

gilbertmonchat
04-30-2005, 21:07
look great your IC, but do you take a specific one'(core) for 6.5TD or do you buy any one

99gmccrew
05-01-2005, 09:13
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7970404728&category=33742

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7971264484&category=33742

These parts are similar to the ones I used. You have to carefully choose a spot it will fit into and plumb in the tubing. And you must get the biggest one that you can fit into the space needed and engineer it around that. Bigger is better when it comes to IC's. Tbogmirep has a nice link on his profile that really helped me install mine. He is a member here. ;)

One thing I forgot to mention is that if you do it yourself instead of buying a kit. Make certain you use t-bolt clamps which hold better than standard hose clamps. The hoses can blow off under high boost pressures if you don't. Not good.

[ 05-01-2005, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: 99gmccrew ]

JeffsTowTruck
05-02-2005, 14:27
THAT MAKES ME FEEL BAD!! :(
I NEVER THOUGHT TO LOOK ON E-BAY.. OH WELL I HAVE ALREADY SPENT IT.. THE 1000 + THAT IS.. tongue.gif
GOOD INFO ON THE E-BAY LINK.. BUT HOW DOES THE ECM DO NOW THAT COLD AIR IS COMING IN.. DOES IT RUN IN A CHOKE TYPE MODE AND DUMP A LOT OF FUEL IN ALL THE TIME???

99gmccrew
05-02-2005, 17:46
There was no negative effect, only positive. You really feel it working when towing or on heavy accellaration. The computor has an intake air sensor that cuts back the fuel when temps get too high. With the intercooler, temps stay so low normally there is no need to cut back on the fuel, which is done by the ecm to keep us from melting the engine, hence robbing the engine of power when it is needed most. I believe that when the engine is in warm up mode it senses the coolant temp. I would have to look that up to be sure though.

99gmccrew

Barry Nave
05-03-2005, 02:49
99gm
Did the piping kit do the job or did you need extra pieces,parts?

99gmccrew
05-03-2005, 08:36
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7971499412&category=33742

This is the actual kit I purchased, minus the silicone connectors, and it was just the right amount with a little extra in case you make a mistake. It' nice that the kit now comes with the silicone connectors. Saves on shipping costs.
You can get your t-bolt clamps at napa for a decent price. ;)