PDA

View Full Version : Replacing fuel lines on 93 6.5

kanui
07-07-2010, 20:43
Does anyone know of a way to R&R the rubber inlet line to the IP and the rubber drain line? I read in a post by Robyn that said "When you snake the new IP feed line down the valley be sure and plug the end you shove through from the front so as not to fill the hose with dirt from the valley area. Duct tape works great for this or stick a bolt in the end to plug the hose." This sounds great but then once the line is under the intake, how do you get the duct tape off or the bolt out? Then how do you tighten up the hose clamp? I hope this can be done without removing the intake.

Thanks in advance

Robyn
07-08-2010, 05:50
OK
Simple task

Working over the top of the engine (with the plastic turbo cover off if its still there) unbolt the fuel filter assembly from the rear of the intake manifold.

You can slide the assembly to the rear a little bit to gain access to the fuel delivery line and the drain line.

Unclamp the two lines. Now, starting from the front end by the IP, clip off the bend in the old hose so that its straight, push one end of a short threaded stud into the old hose and then connect the rear end of the new hose to the other end of the stud.

Now gently feed the new hose down and under the manifold as you pull the old hose out.

Do the same with the drain line.

Once the lines are in place, simply remove the old hose and stud from the rear end of the new lines and then reconnect the lines and remount the filter. (great time for a fresh filter element too) :)

Once the lines are back on and the filter is bolted down, bleed the air from the lines by running the lift pump. Do this one line at a time.

Hook the drain line up to the T valve and then bleed the line to the IP then reconnect. Now bleed the drain line.

If you install a fresh filter, bleed the line to the IP, then the air bleed on top of the filter followed by the drain line.

Pretty simple and it will all make sense once your looking at it.

To activate the lift pump you need to access the pump circuit that is in the electrical box on the firewall above the AC unit (RH side of firewall)

The power fuse for the lift pump is in a little holder, simply unsnap the fuse assembly with the wires and touch the center bar of the fuse to the power stud there in the electrical box (the back part of the fuse that you would use to pull it out has a bare spot in the middle)

Simply touch that fuses center bare spot to the power stud and the lift pump will run. Once your done bleeding the system, snap the fuse back into its little spot and replace the cover on the panel.

Good luck

Missy

kanui
07-08-2010, 11:23
I have the filter housing out now.
I cannot figure out how to get the clamp off of the rubber line underneath the intake at the IP. ( I got them off of the fuel filter housing with no problem.) Its the clamp way up under the intake. I can see the hose clamp but I dont see anyway of getting a screwdriver or even be able to turn a small wrench. I must be way off base (thinking inside the box) Sorry. Sure would be nice if someone had a video of this procedure. I'm going to be running 100% bio diesel in my 93 chevy 3500 and I have installed a new fuel tank, new sending unit, new lift pump and I want to install all new fuel lines and add an after market fuel filter. It's just this fuel line underneath the intake that's giving me a nightmare. Am I supposed to be able to get access to this clamp by going through the backside of the intake?

kanui
07-08-2010, 14:58
Only the line labled "drain" from the filter went all the way down the valley. The other line labled "out" from the filter went to about the middle of the valley right under the intake and plugged into the IP. Is my IP different? I managed to get my hand under the back side of the intake and take the hose clamp off with a tiny quarter inch wrench but it was tough. It's gonna be even tougher getting put back on and tightened back up.

midniteplowboyy
07-08-2010, 19:24
On 92-93's, I just pull the intake, not worth the aggravation. On non turbo mechanical vans and HMMWV's its pretty easy going through the doghouse, trucks just dont have enough room for my big arms.

The 94 up trucks are easy, just put a hose barb splice hooking the old lines to the new(IP/"T" end), unbolt the filter, lift it up, unhook the old lines, drag the new lines through.

On the 92-93, make sure you cut the IP line exactly the same length as the old one. Hook up all your lines, then put the intake back on. You may have to tilt the intake under the fuel filter when putting it back together.