PDA

View Full Version : New noise at shutdown.

1629dill
07-03-2010, 07:28
I have a 6.5 turbo diesel in a 1999 suburban and am trying to figure what this new noise is when it is shutdown. I filmed it at startup today after sitting all night. I could use some feedback on this problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA2fz3n8Qx8

Thanks
Todd

suburbanK-2500HD
07-03-2010, 09:13
Wery hard to tell, you get added noise when recording sound.
Have you tried to turn the crank both ways by hand with a long arm..?
Does it run normal when driving ?

How many km on the engine

Robyn
07-03-2010, 18:11
Remove the serp belt and check that the rubber mounted crank pulley has not gone south.

These have a bearing that pilots the outer rubber mounted rim.

If the bubber breaks loose, the inner arms will rattle back and forth inside the guide slots and make a HELLUVA noise.

Check that first.

If everything is OK there, then get a breaker bar and socket on the crank nut and rock the engine back and forth to see if you can isolate the issue.

A cracked or broken flex plate can make noise too.

I heard the noise on the video and its definately not normal.

I dont think at this point that its a broken crank but ??????????// need to sort through the little things first.

Keep us posted.

Missy

Robyn
07-03-2010, 18:18
Ran that video many many times. :eek:

I would almost bet that its the serp belt crank pulley taking a poop.

Figure out what it is and dont run it again until you can fix it.

Whatever it is, it will inhale itself if not fixed.

Missy

1629dill
07-04-2010, 10:13
I checked an it looks like the problem is the pulley. I was looking down to see it and noticed that the bolts did not look like they were lined up with the web to the outer part of the pulley. I tried turning the bolt by hand and could see that the outer part moved but the bolts stayed in place.

Now I will order the part and change it out.

Thanks.

Robyn
07-04-2010, 16:58
Hope that is all the issue.

Keep us posted

Missy

1629dill
07-05-2010, 14:34
The new part is on and the noise is gone. I did find my radiator drip on the back side. The local part store wants $280 for a new one. Will have to see if I can find one online for a better price. Thanks for the help I would not have figured this one out.

Robyn
07-06-2010, 19:36
Glad to hear that the gremlin is gone ;)

Stay clear of the cheapo radiators. Visteon makes an Oem quality replacement that has the aluminum brazed core.

The cheap stuff has epoxied cores (tubes are epoxied into the head plates) once they get some time on them, they can and do crack and leak)

Visteon is not all that spendy but very good.

I dropped one in the DaHoooley during the overhaul last summer and its great. No more overheating issues.

Good luck

Missy