PDA

View Full Version : Removing Engine Shut off solenoid

Kmehr
06-28-2010, 13:35
So I had my intake manifold off the other day to install the "feed the beast mod", noticed that the fuel shutoff solenoid was wiggling a little, so i decided to tighten it down. Terrible idea, stripped out the top of the casing so now it will not screw off, and also totally ruined the wiring in the process. Got a new one on the way, but any tips on how to get the old one off since the top bolt head is stripped? - scared to weld on the injection pump

Ps. dealer wanted $275 for a new one!! having one delivered from my local stanadyne dealer for $90!!

Robyn
06-28-2010, 15:50
If your old one is the type that uses a Hex wrench (allen key) just gently use a vise grips on the Outside of the shut off and unscrew it from the IP.

These are usually not terribly tight.

Missy

Kmehr
06-29-2010, 07:54
mine has the non-allen head on it, and it wont budge, would I be an idiot to try to weld the nut to the casing so it will spin off? welding on the IP really scares me

jerry598
06-30-2010, 10:41
Try gluing it with JB weld first.

Kmehr
07-01-2010, 07:50
I have tried both gorilla gluing and JB welding a socket to the bolt head and also both methods on a large sockets placed over the top of the entire solenoid. Neither seem to be able to withstand twisting. I am really close to unhooking the batteries and the PCM and welding the bolt head in place or welding a socket to it. Unless there are any other ideas. I'm still really nervous about welding on the IP though.

JohnC
07-01-2010, 09:14
What am I missing? Can't you just grab it with vice grips?

DmaxMaverick
07-01-2010, 10:27
What am I missing? Can't you just grab it with vice grips?

That's what I was thinking. Pipe wrench, strap wrench, etc. It isn't like you're gonna reuse it.

Welding on it while on the pump is not a good idea. That's a lot of heat to be soaking in there.

Kmehr
07-01-2010, 10:32
its on too tight to use vice grips, believe me ive tried. can't fit a pipe wrench on it unless i took off both manifolds and the return fitting on the IP. You really only have access to the top and mine is seized on there good.

DaveBr
07-01-2010, 11:14
Welding on the IP is a final act of desparation. The results could end up to be different then hoped for to put it nicely. I would take it to a reputable shop that has experience with these IP's. They may have experience with your issue. If they say no hope then you can make a decision.

Robyn
07-01-2010, 17:03
Absolutely DO NOT weld on the thing. The flux field that will be generated even with the ground up close is very likely to fry some of the circuitry in the optical sensor. :eek: and or other goodies.

I have never seen one that a vise grips would not remove with a little bit of OOOOOMPH.

Best of luck

Missy

Kmehr
07-02-2010, 07:02
Issue resolved! Thanks to all for help. I ended up calling the service department at my local Stanadyne dealer. The tech told me that he had seen many get stuck like that and the thing to do was to "whomp the S%&* out of it with a hammer" to break it loose and then pull it out with some vice grips. I ended up having to drive a really big screw driver down into the casing to pry it off and the black metal base with the threads screwed off by hand.

Only run the truck in idle with the bigger upgraded fuel lines and "feed the beast Mod" its got quite a bit of black smoke now! But Ive now got a fuel leak coming from my fuel filter/manager haha.

SO lesson learned, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE ENGINE SHUTOFF SOLENOID.