PDA

View Full Version : hydraboost

westport70
06-23-2010, 16:25
It seems i have a problem with brakes hanging up especially when i turn the wheels to the far left or right. Could this be a hydraboost problem. It seems the brakes hang then after a moment they release. There is no pulling from one wheel individually. It also seems i am short on power steering assist. any help would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

DmaxMaverick
06-23-2010, 17:49
It could be the hydroboost unit.

(in the absence of obvious leaks)
Add about 1/2 cup of auto tranny conditioner (Trans-X, Trans-Medic, etc.) and run for a while (100 miles or so is best, less as necessary). Flush/fill the system. Flushing is easy. Remove the return line (spring clamp lighter hose) from the top of the HB unit, and install a hose to the nipple. Route and secure the hose to a container (one gallon or better). Start the engine and cycle the steering and brake pedal until power assist stops. Stop engine, refill the reservoir (synthetic ATF preferred) and repeat until you are satisfied all the old fluid is flushed out. Replace the original return line, fill the reservoir, start engine, cycle the steering and brake pedal to extremes. Recheck the fluid level. This will, in most cases, free up any sticky valves in the HB, steering box, and pump, allowing it to continue normal operation for a long time. It also helps with small seepage leaks throughout the system.

redsuburban
07-01-2010, 11:06
I had the same problem several years ago. Straight line stops were no problem but apply the brakes during a turn the wheels almost locked up. Changed the hydroboost and the pump but the problem was the same. Turned out it was the brake anti-lock system. I removed the relay and problem solved. It was several years ago and the problem has never returned. You need to make the decision if you want to disable the system.