PDA

View Full Version : Max-E-Tork/TM Thoughts

Chris611
04-27-2005, 15:23
Well I made my first major upgrade to my 6.5. I got the gauges first and then the Max-E-Tork/TM combo. I was amazed at how easy it was to install the computer. I thought I would have to wrestle it around more, didn't even need any tools. I could tell a difference right away, but it wasn't as dramatic as I expected. I think my expectations were a little too high. What I did notice when pulling a small trailer, was the truck just seemed to accelerate with much less effort than before. It doesn't struggle so much to accelerate or hold highway speed. I run about 6-7psi boost on fairly flat ground with EGT of 750 pre turbo. I did hit 1100 on a full throttle run with boost spikes to 15psi. I can only image what some people's EGT hit if they don't have gauges. Overall, I am very happy. Its good perforamce for the money. I am anxious to get it hooked up to the boat and see how it pulls the heavier trailer and also what my EGT's are. I'm waiting on parts for my water injection system. I am trying to build a homemade one. Mostly just because its fun and I would like to mess around with it. This web site really helped me make a decsion on the ECM upgrade.

Thanks guys
Chris

99gmccrew
04-27-2005, 15:47
Good to know, I'm going to pull the trigger pretty soon. Just trying to figure out which one to go with.

99gmccrew

BUZZ
04-27-2005, 17:17
I have the same set up, and recently installed JK exhaust. Make exhaust your next component.
Buzz

ace58
04-27-2005, 17:18
I recently installed a Max-E-Tork as well, and it was the last piece of a long, but interesting, engine replacement/upgrade project.

I noticed the biggest difference towing. I only tow a 16 foot enclosed tandem axle trailer with go-kart racinjg equipment, but the performance is much better than before.

Dvldog 8793
04-27-2005, 17:41
My truck has had a steady diet of upgrades and the last was going from stock cumputer and JK electric boost to a MAXI/TM and removed the vac pump. With this set-up and the other mods on my rig I pulled 1 mile at 4-5%grade with a 11,000lb trailer and maintained 65mph with EGTs never getting over 1000* and still had plenty of peddle left
I don't know how this compares to other rigs as my conditions were pretty good, 40* ambient temp, good #2 fuel with cetane boost ect...
I have no complaints and think that the MAXI tork is a good product. Someday I will make it done to JK's Dyno and see what it really puts out....

Chris611
04-27-2005, 17:53
One question I forgot to ask was about having the TDC set to -1.94. I talked to the local mechanic (non-GM) and he said he would do it, didn't sound like he was real familiar with it and I am certainly not. Can someone help me out. Heres what I think I know and it may ALL be wrong. The TDC is set by the TechII scanner, however you MAY have to rotate the pump in order to achieve the -1.94 as the GM spec is -.25 to -.5. Is this accurate? I just want to have an idea before I go to the mechanic so I can understand what he is doing. Also I have read that some like -1.75 or so. Sounds like the -1.75 is a good comprimise for performance vs reliability. Any thoughts on this

Thanks
Chris

GMC Hauler
04-28-2005, 06:21
When I had the dealer set my TDC offset, they had the same concerns. You are doing the right thing.

Here is a link which describes what to set it at. Click Here, (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007093)

What I have started doing is setting the Offset less negative (-1.4) for non towing situations. I use my AutoEnginutiy laptop code reader to initiate the learn command (which it now has). The beauty of this is that it will learn even though engine coolant temperature is not at 170F. it is very simple and takes 30 seconds (as long as you don't have to move the pump.

markrinker
04-30-2005, 04:53
DvlDog how much boost are you running on average 65mph cruise unloaded? What was boost MAX under the pull you described?

99gmccrew
05-01-2005, 20:55
Dvldog, Ace58, I also have a 99 6.5l. I've done most of the mods I've wanted to leading up to the computer reflash, as you can see in my signature profile.

Do you have any regrets spending the money for the reflash program?

What I'm trying to say is, honest opinion "Was it worth it and would you do it again? thanks for your comments

99gmccrew

Scooby
05-02-2005, 01:49
I'll say the Maxi Torq was without a doubt the BEST $ spent in the upgrades I did. It was done AFTER exhaust and Turbomaster, which I would say are also a necessity to get the most out of the modified computer. Also, gauges are a must to avoid damage.

Cowracer
05-02-2005, 04:54
The common misconception about upgrading these engines is that ONE component makes a big difference. When trying for more power, you have to take a 'systems' approach.

Take for instance a guy who opens up his exhaust. He may feel some affect, but not what he hoped for. Then he opens up the intake. Again, some benefit, but nothing earth shattering. Then he tries a chip and boost control.

WOW! That really made a difference! He feels that the chip did the most to gaining power. The money he spent on the exhaust and intake was wasted.

So he tells his freind. And the freind doesn't want to waste money, so he just buys a chip. His freind is less than impressed. Looking for more, he tries a better intake, and that helps. But then he puts on a new exhaust, and his truck comes alive.

Now the freind thinks that the exhaust is the big power maker and the chip was a waste. What neither realize that it took the WHOLE PACKAGE to make the improvement. One piece wont give you the full benefits.

Notice that neither of my example guys bothered with gauges, so they shouldn't expect too much in the terms of life-span from their motors anyway. (sound familiar?)

My point is dont expect too much from any component untill you have the whole deal in place, and GET GAUGES FIRST!

Tim

Chris611
05-02-2005, 05:07
Great example cowracer. I put gauges in before I put the computer in. What should I look for on the gauges that would spell trouble? I know the obvious, which is too high of EGT's, but are there any other signs or problems? Like if your sustained EGT is 900 pre-turbo for more than 20 minutes, you need to back down or let off or is it just the peak EGT's?

Thanks

Cowracer
05-02-2005, 06:05
I personally only worry about peaks on the EGTs' I hate to see more than 1200 for ANY length of time. (pre turbo)

As long as the coolant temp is ok, I don't worry about 900-1000 degree EGT's for extended periods.

Again, this is my personal feelins. I may be completly wrong.

Tim

Dvldog 8793
05-03-2005, 05:30
Howdy
My truck runs at about 4psi unloaded at 65MPH. On the pull I listed the gauge stayed steady at 14psi. Air temp after turbo/preIC was about 230, PostIC on the intake was about 130-140. I would agree that as long as coolant temp stays good that the EGTs should be OK at 1000. BUT remember that EGT will be more of an Instant picture of engine temp and coolant temp may take a few seconds to tell you what is happening. Oil temp is also a good thing, maybe better than coolant temp. On that same pull my oil temp was about 220* on the top of the hill.
It's hard to say what the ECM reflash is worth. I've heard that the 1999 truck ECM program was pretty good from the factory. earlier years would see more of a change. I did mine with other mods at the same time. It is deffinently a package deal. If you REALLY want to see/feel something save up your cash(after gauges) and then do the ECM, injectors, exhaust, intake and boost all at the same time. :D Should be a real WOW when you put the happy foot down!
L8r
Conley