PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Coolant System Engine BLock Drains

Bruzersdad
06-14-2010, 11:40
I have an 86 Chevy Beauville with a 6.2, and VanDiesel is one of my all-time favorite vehicles, EXCEPT for the engine block coolant drain plugs, which are behind the engine mounts. I badly need to clean and flush the cooling system, and that flush requires draining the block. Does anyone have a suggestion/method for a flush?

Thanks!

john8662
06-14-2010, 12:00
You could remove the block heater on one side, and knock a freeze plug out of the other. No, not a good way to do this really.

Really doing the radiator is a large chunk of the coolant, flushing this is a big help, I wouldn't bother with the block personally.

J

Bruzersdad
06-15-2010, 11:01
Thanks, John. I might just end up doing the radiator only --- that would be much better that no attention at all. And I've looked at the freeze plugs as a possible alternate, but I always come back to, "They didn't really design it that way, did they??" As an engineer, this sort of lunacy hurts!

Perhaps there is a brass street 90 elbow with 3/8 MPT one side and flare fitting outlet, that I could install between the block and the engine mount. If I find one, I'll let you know!

Ross

NetBSD
06-17-2010, 22:12
just stick a garden hose in the water pump and let it run for a while, this is what i do to flush the coolant from the block

EDIT: maybe i should say let the water run for a while and the truck off