PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

BillCarry
06-08-2010, 12:08
I'm the original owner of a 1994 P-32 Chevy motor home with a 6.5 electronic turbo. I have accumulated about 175000 miles, mostly highway as you'd expect. The oil pressure and oil consumption have not changed since new ( I use about a quart every 1700-1800 miles). I went throught all the early IP system problems but havn't had any since way back when once GM figured out what they had done wrong. I have a remote mounted FSD (inside the airconditioned motor home). It has been fine for about five years. I'm on my second set of fuel injectors and glow plugs which have about 80,000 miles on them. the starter, alternator, vaccuum pump, turbo, etc are all original. I installed a 130 GPM water pump at about 90,000 miles after losing two cylinder heads 1000 miles from home (due I'm sure to a dirty front radidator face that I now clean every year).

I want to keep this thing indefinately. Maybe go another fifteen years and 150000 miles.

I'm considering installing a new fully dressed Peninsular engine as a preventative measure. This will cost a bundle - but prorated over 15 years ???? and at the moment I can swing it. Peninsular is in Michigan as am I and they say they will need 5-6 days which isn't to bad.

What would you all do???

Bill Carry

Robyn
06-08-2010, 15:17
If the rig is a Kepper (sounds like it is) and the $$$ are not a real issue, I would do it.

Far better to do it on your terms and time and under a controlled condition and place rather then out in the middle of east Nowhere.

Sell the old engine as a runner for a few bucks to help soften the cost a tad.

JMHO

Missy

rameye
06-08-2010, 15:27
I just did a long block swap...not a fully dressed unit...with a AMG/ GEP engine....pretty reasonable price..brand new latest and greatest casting etc....they also offer the P400 which has alot more ummph!

Peninsular was a little pricey when I talked to them...however they were willing to negotiate a bit...keep that in mind.

Stay away from those internet dealers....they sounded very shady and were very evasive when put on the spot...My AMG engine actually was alot less than the best "who knows what inside and who put it together" internet deal.

Good Luck

Beedee
06-08-2010, 20:36
Bill, if you are happy with what you have, why not put a new engine into it

The piece of mind that you will get out of it will far out weight the initial cost.
The price of an engine compared to a new motor home is cheap.

Brian