PDA

View Full Version : "Lucky Max" Motor Storage

hsburt
06-07-2010, 07:56
I have not started my 6.2's since late October 2008.
Once they were removed from the boat they were stored in my garage while I worked on them.
As I have replaced the Oil Pans, there's obviously no oil left in the motors and I am wondering if I can let them set for another 12 months before I start them? Are there any concerns with this approach or precautions that I should take?
Are there any concerns with the fuel pump "gumming up" like a caburetor in a gas engine?
All injectors have been replaced.

FYI: The "pitch" on the motors is representatinve of how they sit in the boat. (I set them up in the garage as I have to replace the front mounts).

Thanks
Steve Burt
East Petpeswick, Nova Scotia
31’ Sport Cruiser
“Lucky Max”

DmaxMaverick
06-07-2010, 10:03
Diesel fuel isn't evaporative/volatile like gasoline/petrol. A full pump and fuel system can remain idle for years. I've started Diesel tractors after they sat in a field for decades. As long as you shut down with clean fuel, it should be that way when you pick up where you left off. One year is no big deal. There is a possibility of corrosion and/or biological growth if there is any water and/or air space in the system, but any fuel storage conditioner (like Sta-Bil) will negate this. If the injectors were changed and were never ran, they are either dry, or should have preservative oil in them (depends on source or rebuild facility). In either case, they are best "charged" with fuel before long term storage. Charging will also evacuate air from the injector lines, which are vulnerable to internal corrosion if left with air in them.

If you are storing them for one year or more, I suggest charging the oil and fuel systems. This can be done simultaneously. Fill the crankcase with oil and supply fuel to the pump (gravity or through the fuel pump with treated fuel). Remove the glow plugs. Crank engine until oil pressure is up, and you get a spray of fuel from each glow plug hole. Install glow plugs, fill the cooling system (coolant and distilled water, or pre-mix) plug every hole and store in a dry (low humidity) location. After a year, you should not have to do any additional service, other than an oil change and a repeat of the prime process. A little quality time invested before storage goes a long way to simplify the process when you put them back to work.

hsburt
06-07-2010, 15:25
That can be easily done.
Thank-You very much for the detailed explanation.