PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 usage

hershel
06-06-2010, 09:53
Can anyone tell me where to get info on the 6.5 that was used in 94 thru 98 0r 99 mdels. I'm interested in necessary changes required to install a 94 6.5 in some of the later models.

DmaxMaverick
06-06-2010, 11:20
It depends on what you mean by "install". If you are only replacing a short or long block, it's a direct swap with any of them, for the most part. The accessory drive components changed somewhat over the years, so that will be specific to the "to-from" year models and equipment.

Electrical and electronics, on the other hand, vary in many forms over the years and models. The engine itself is affected very little by this, but crossing the OBD I and OBD II line can require some adaptation or accommodation. It can be as simple as minor wiring, to complete harness and ECM replacement. It depends on where you are, and where you want to go. In most cases, it isn't a big deal. However, there are some combinations requiring substantial accommodation.

JohnC
06-06-2010, 14:12
Later engines with piston oil spray nozzles have (need) larger oil cooler fittings and hoses. If you're installing an earlier engine, you can adapt down as the oil pump has a lower flow rate.

56pan
06-08-2010, 06:37
John C. This is the first I've heard of the need for larger oil cooler lines/fittings on a later block with piston spray holes. I have a new mil. surplus AMG block in my '93 C2500 and it has the piston spray holes. Do I really need to upgrade these lines fittings? Could the smaller lines cause a problem? Would I need a bigger oil cooler? Thanks for any info.

JohnC
06-08-2010, 10:58
I would put the larger, later fittings and hoses on. Not sure if the cooler is different or not. The oil cooler is in the circuit all the time, so I wouldn't force the oil through the smaller lines. May end up forcing more oil through the pressure relief valve instead of to the engine.

hershel
06-14-2010, 09:22
Here are some details which should shed some light on "install". I have a 94,1500, ext cab, short box with a 6.5 non turbo and 5 sp man. Because of an acident I'm considering installing my drive train in another 1500 of the 94 thru 98 series. The accident involved the right front which makes essentially all of the 94 parts available