PDA

View Full Version : what else to do for lower EGT's

maverick_935
05-24-2010, 08:24
I have a 2005 GMC 3500 dually pulling a fifth that can weigh upwards of 12,000lbs. Coming home today on 1 with the Edge I got to 1350 without pushing too hard. The grades were 8-10% a couple of times. After looking at what I have done what else can I do to economically help lower these numbers. I constantly see 1200-1300 degrees on level 1 towing.

Should i put it in stock level and push the boost more? Would an exhaust help lots or little?

Any suggestions?

More Power
05-24-2010, 12:59
We did an exhaust system review a year or so ago that looked at exhaust temperatures. :)
http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/magnaflowc.htm

Mark Rinker
05-24-2010, 15:48
Your engine is designed to run at 1400F nominal, in the EGT department. That being said, I wouldn't want to push it that hard, and expect a 300K mile engine.

For the short periods of time you are experiencing higher EGTs, I doubt that any abnormal wear and tear will occur. However, I wouldn't run mountains grades, with outside temps >65F, with high miles on the oil for example.

If you really want to be careful, go back to stock tune for the mountains. Then you have the GM engineers on your side during extreme towing conditions.

The extra heat is caused by the turbo getting overworked, your engine oil heating up, water and transmission temperatures coming up. Its a heat soak characterisitic of LLYs and LBZs. It can be mitigated with some mods (including less restrictive exhaust), a lighter right foot, slower ground speeds, and stock tuning.

My .03 worth!

maverick_935
05-24-2010, 16:35
I did the easier right foot as well as the warning by edge when it reached 1350 degrees. What did i do before the gauges? I think my next step is an exhaust and resorting to stock levels on the steeper grades and see how it goes from there. The 10 degree grade is not common but are around in my area. I live on the east coast of Canada.

Kennedy
05-26-2010, 09:21
It's all about optimizing fuel, timing, and boost.

The Boost stick helps, but there is only so much that can be done. My ECM tuning has always returned reduced EGT numbers and generally better response and MPG.

maverick_935
05-26-2010, 10:35
I have ordered the 4" MBRP exhaust, that should help some.

Would a snow water/methanol system be a route to take for better/safer pulling up long grades? I have been trying to find posts on here but they don't seem to be overly informative. i read Snow site and it says 1-3mpg, 200 degree drop in EGT's. I could pull more comfortably at that rate.

How much power will the Allison handle in stock trim?

mjammer
05-27-2010, 10:23
I would seriously consider Kennedy's ECM tunes. They help all around performance, MPG, and lower EGTs