PDA

View Full Version : Starter R&R on Auto Trucks?

joed
05-18-2010, 14:54
The starter on my 96 auto appears to need a rebuild.

Since I've been fortunate enough to not have to R&R one yet, can the starter be removed without unhooking the auto trans cooler lines? They seem to be right below it.

Thanks. Joe.

rameye
05-18-2010, 15:19
I just finished doing this job...I can tell you it IS way easier than undoing the motor mounts!

I would drop the line off the transmission lines from the tranny...pretty easy... and unclip them from the front of the oil pan and swing them out of the way...tie them back with a piece of clothesline..

Undo the battery terminal from the passenger battery...remove it from the frame clips (thru the wheel well) and get it loose so you can drop the starter..the cable is short!

Undo the switch lead ( goes to solenoid) acessable from the passenger wheel well...it's very short and you may end up hanging the starter from it when things get hairy...this will damage the wiring and make life worse for you.

Undo the front starter bracket thru the passenger wheel well..

Undo the starter bolts, drop it with the loose battery cable...undo cable...and voila!

Reverse operation for install...resist the temptation to can the heat shield!

Robyn
05-18-2010, 16:27
Remove the RH front wheel and the rubber inner fender flap.

With this done the tail hook on the starter and the wires can be removed.

Remove the two main bolts, slide the starter forward and then it will squirrel out from alongside the engine.

Reverse the procedure to get the thing back in.

Tighten the two main starter bolts up just almost snug then you can if need be wiggle the starter a bit to get the tail hook bolt in.

Tighten things up, hook up the wires and your done.

Very easy to do it this way.

Missy

ronniejoe
05-18-2010, 18:18
I've changed several starters without unfastening the oil lines. They will spring out of the way enough to get the starter out. I also have never removed the inner fender to do this, only the fiberglass splash shield. I usually disconnect the wires by reaching through the wheel well before loosening the starter mount bolts.

As you can see, there are many ways to skin this cat. Select the one that works best for you.

joed
05-19-2010, 06:59
Thanks for the tips. Starters are never my favorite, especially since they are so darn heavy!

Joe.