PDA

View Full Version : Injection pump warranty- metal shavings from lift pump??

busman
12-28-2004, 16:52
Just received a call back from local dealership service manager, he said they would not warranty IP unless I allow them to R&R fuel tank to flush & clean "metal shavings" that are "probably" in the IP from failed lift pump. The lift pump was replaced before sent for warranty for stalling with codes P251 & PO1216. Verified stalling condition post lift pump replacement, & codes repeated after clearing. 1999 GMC Savana 3500, has canister fuel filter/heater assy. after the lift pump. What chain of events would allow metal shavings into the IP? Vehicle has 85K on original IP/FSD, couldn't IP wear itself cause shavings to return to tank, if at all? Have had over 2 dozen of these pumps replaced under warranty in a fleet of 85, this is the first time I have heard of this condition or have had conditions such as these added to warranty. I offered to flush tank & tow back they said no way. Any suggestions/opinions appreciated.

DmaxMaverick
12-28-2004, 17:25
Failed pumps can and do send contaminants back to the tank. Let them R/R and flush the tank and lines, at their expense. It was their pump that failed and may have dumped their pump parts into your otherwise healthy fuel system.

This has come up several times. Many dealers try to get the customer to pay for the flush job, and persistence has persuaded the dealer to cover whatever is required to cover the warrantied repair in many of these cases. The pumps are covered under warranty because they are known to fail. The contaminants that may end up in your fuel system is known collateral damage. They are responsible for anything that is involved to complete the repair in accordance with the TSB. Make them pay for it.

That being said, flushing the tank is not really necessary. If metal did get sent back to the tank, the OEM filter should prevent anything from getting into the new pump. Diligent maintenance practices practices will help as well. I would, however, suggest intalling a pre-lift pump filter to prevent damage to the lift pump, and accidental introduction of contaminants from reaching the new pump, and less $ than the flush job. Even if they do flush the tank and lines, they won't get all of the stuff. The OEM filter is still the best/last protection.

MikeC
12-28-2004, 17:52
This is my thinking of shavings in the tank BUT, someone please correct me if my thinking is flawed.

If the lift pump fails the shavings should only get to the fuel filter, and not get back to the tank.

If the IP puts out shavings they would get to the tank.

Reason I think this is the filter should be fine enough to stop particles coming from the lift pump.

Correct??

Mike

DmaxMaverick
12-28-2004, 21:08
Mike

Correct.

I suggest the pre-lift pump filter to catch anything remaining in the tank/pickup/lines before it gets to the lift pump. Those little pieces can cause premature failure of the lift pump.

Black95TD
12-29-2004, 08:00
Hello all,

I had the same problem and paid for the flush when I knew I should have put up enough stink so they covered it. I saw the metal and there was lots of it. Can't say I'm sorry I got it out of the system. Cost was $880 including new lift pump which I wanted to replace anyway.

The parts counter suggested replacing the lift pump annually to avoid the problem. I don't believe its the lift pump anyway since its just a low pressure centifugal. I have the old pump and am going to take it apart and see if there is any evidence of the impeller rubbing on the housing.

Anybody have the address to write to GM so I can try to get my money back?

rjschoolcraft
12-29-2004, 08:07
If I'm not mistaken, the lift pump you're talking about is a solenoid actuated piston pump.

Kennedy
12-29-2004, 09:24
Quite soon, I plan to release a lift pump that really cannot generate any particles, and will have an optional filter head with it. This should ensure that little or nothing get to the OEM filter.

This lift pump can run with or without a prefilter also, and should be the last one you ever need to buy...

Black95TD
12-29-2004, 10:01
RonnieJoe,

You are correct. I just took it apart and indeed it has a central plunger(piston) with check valve on top. There was evidence of wear in the bore but its hard to believe that is enough to contaminate the whole tank and line - especially since it goes to the fuel filter. The steel plunger had a little scoring on it - again, very little. This was a working pump when it was removed. I have digital pics if anyone is interested - just leave your e-mail address.

sturgeon-phish
12-29-2004, 11:37
I just replaced my lift pump and took it apart to determine the failure cause and it appears to be a blown capaciter. I posted pictures on the thread "Test wire 96 and up". I was glad to see no dirt shavings inside of mine. Thinking of installing the pre-lift pump filter.
Jim

Kennedy
12-29-2004, 15:12
Lots of good info here:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/DSwarranty.htm

I'll add that most radiator shops aer best equipped to clean tanks...

tom.mcinerney
12-29-2004, 19:14
All: Jim Sturgeon's pics are at :
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007819

Black95: Send pics to tbhpmci@hotmail.com , or , better, figure how to post them like Jim!