PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Integrated Brake Controller Problems

movemyrv
05-07-2010, 19:13
Is anyone experienced with the integrated brake control and/or the problems with only certain trailers working with that controller?

I brought the truck in to get it's first service and asked why I wasn't getting the performance I got with the Prodigy in my previous truck. They found a document from GM, that they printed indicating that the controller may not work on certain trailer braking systems such as electric over hydraulic trailer brakes. It suggested installing an aftermarket controller.

That brings me to two questions:
1-Why did I pay for this integrated option if it doesn't do as much as an add-on?

2-How do i wire in the add-on when there is no longer the under dash plug provided? I really hate cutting into the harnesses of such a complex vehicle and braking system.

I hope someone has ideas, thanks,
Mike

More Power
05-08-2010, 10:51
I haven't seen the new truck controller in operation, but it makes sense that it wouldn't work for some types of trailer brakes. If your trailer uses the more widely used electric brakes, you should be quite satisfied, but it might not be a good choice for the less common electric/hydraulic or other trailer brake systems.

For the less common trailer brake systems, I would install a controller recommended by the trailer manufacturer. They should know what works best with their braking systems.

Jim

ttyR2
06-06-2010, 17:59
If you end up upgrading, the Tekonsa P3 is awesome and supports both electric and electric/hydraulic systems. I'm well pleased with the one I installed.