PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E Odd Fluid Level Issue

rustyk
05-07-2010, 12:21
I checked the fluid with the engine off, and it's barely on the dipstick (at the right level for hot - when I measured); running in "Park", the dipstick tube is half-full of fluid. I have the Mag-Hytec pan, so there's plenty of fluid (I think). Temps appear to be normal (~180°), but slightly warmer than I'm used to - but ambient temps are higher, too. The transmission operates normally.

Any ideas?

Robyn
05-07-2010, 17:03
Always check in Neutral. The flow though the tranny is not the same in Park.

As long as the level is correct in Neutral Hot your Good to go.

Missy

WhiteTruck
05-07-2010, 21:55
Fluid level can be checked in neutral, but I don't recommend it for safety reasons. Fluid level will be the same in park or neutral. There is no difference in the fluid flow on a 4L80 trans between these 2 ranges, only the engagement of the parking pawl, if equipped. I know you don't have a park pawl on your version. Robin is likely thinking of a big rig trans, I have no idea of fluid flow on them.

rustyk
05-09-2010, 15:09
On another forum, I got more info - mostly echoing my experience with the dipstick tube. One retired GM engineer griped about the same issue...and both posters agreed on an odd but apparently useful work-around.

The thread is here (http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/391105282)

rustyk
06-09-2010, 11:34
One of the techs here at Sun Coast/Webb's Transmissions discovered that the tranny vent tube was pinched, likely causing the problem.