PDA

View Full Version : Trans cooler question: Keep it stock or take some aftermarket radiator?

fullsizeBlazer
05-05-2010, 05:46
Hey,

I've got a question about my transmission cooler. I have a 1998 HD Radiator with built-in trans cooler. I want to run my 6.5TD in combination with my HD700R4-MD8 automatic tansmisson. So, would you recommend me to keep the stock setup or should I go and get me some aftermarket aluminum(trans) radiator/or some GM Style transmission cooler?

Thanks again

Florian

handcannon
05-05-2010, 09:06
Depends on how you will be using your vehicle. Just highway driving you will be fine with the radiator cooler. Towing or other heavy use, you will be better with another cooler in addition to the radiator cooler. Heat is the biggest enemy of the auto tranny. Keep it cool and the 700R4 will go for a long time. We have a 97 Astro van with the 4.3 Vortec V6 and 700R4. It has been used for occasional trailer towing, although now that I have a pickup the van has been retired from towing. It now has 225k miles on it and the tranny has only had routine service work and a couple rear output shaft seals done. This was with the stock tranny cooler.

Don

fullsizeBlazer
05-05-2010, 09:10
Hey Don,

thanks for your reply! Think I'm gonna get me a aux cooler, they ain't very expensive anyway (especially if you consider the Dollars you'd have to pay for a new transmission)
Greetings

Flo