PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal.

Govt issue
04-25-2005, 11:41
I don't want to hurt anyones feelings here but I can't understand why people think the dodge and ford diesels are so much better than our 6.5s. Don't get me wrong the are powerful, but there are alot of things that they don't do as well. Every dodge that I have driven has a narrow powerband, the automatic is awful. All the fords have a bad turbo lag problem. I was behind a 99 up F350 4x4 who pased a car. He went wot from 50 mph I did the same pased the car and was slowly walking up on him. All the dodges that I have driven, the newest being a 2000 are slow. I belive If you use the 6.5 in the weight range that it was designed for then it is as good as the others. my boat weights 7400lbs. It is a load but I get to the lake no problem. My truck is stock. I know that the 6.5 has its problems but I wounder how many of those developed pulling more than it was designed for. My mom has a gas burban hers seems very under powered compared to mine. She has a 99 350 vortech. no TQ. My dad has a 73 burban with a 454 in it we put a 700r4 behind it. I will fly, but my diesel has more midrange pulling power with the boat on the back. No hard feelings and any comments are welcome.

Peter J. Bierman
04-25-2005, 12:49
If those engines are as bad as some say, why do they even have one?!?
If those engines are as bad as some say, howcome they are found in Humvee's?!?
I guess that there are a lot off trucks performing above what they are designed for.
They are called lihgt trucks but have to get a 7ton load up the hill at WOT :eek:
Big trucks have bigger engines and way more gears to keep the engine in its normal operating range.
I beleive they are basicly good engines but they can be made better.
For production it would have made the not very popular diesel option even more expensive and less popular.
What if they did, we would have nothing to talk about here... :D

Peter

ace58
04-25-2005, 19:36
If the bean counters at GM had left the blocks alone, and not reduced the quality of the cast iron to save money, we would be modifying and adding equipment to our vehicles instead of dealing with cracking blocks. The design is not the major problem.