PDA

View Full Version : `03 duramax will not start

woodhog
04-25-2010, 18:27
Hello,
I have a `03 Chevy 2500HD with a 6.6 duramax. Lately, it was hard to start, sometimes cranking 10-15 seconds to fire. It was also sluggish, when it shifted into 3rd ( allison auto ). Then it would run fine with no problems. it started fine when the engine was cold. When it got hot, that is when the problems started.
I have replaced the fuel filter, with no cure to the problem.
Today, I ran it for about 50 miles round trip, as I was pulling into my driveway, it shut off, & I cannot get it started.
I tried priming the Fuel filter, & whei I take out the bleeder screw, & hit the primer, fuel shoots up about 2".

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. the truck has 112,000 miles on it, and have not had any problems before this.

Thanks

Kennedy
04-26-2010, 14:39
This sounds like injectors to me. High return rates can cause this and warm/hot fuel only makes things worse. The latest injectors are improved, but I would still recommend taking preventative measure to ensure that this does not happen again. We stock most all of this stuff from new high pressure lines to injectors, filtration, lift pumps, and additive.

More Power
04-29-2010, 15:27
Hello,
I have a `03 Chevy 2500HD with a 6.6 duramax. Lately, it was hard to start, sometimes cranking 10-15 seconds to fire. It was also sluggish, when it shifted into 3rd ( allison auto ). Then it would run fine with no problems. it started fine when the engine was cold. When it got hot, that is when the problems started.
I have replaced the fuel filter, with no cure to the problem.
Today, I ran it for about 50 miles round trip, as I was pulling into my driveway, it shut off, & I cannot get it started.
I tried priming the Fuel filter, & whei I take out the bleeder screw, & hit the primer, fuel shoots up about 2".

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. the truck has 112,000 miles on it, and have not had any problems before this.

Thanks

I'm surprised you're not getting any fuel rail pressure related trouble codes - like P0089. If you have access to a Predator Programmer or a dealer Tech II Scan Tool, you could look at fuel rail pressures and do a couple other tests that look at the responsiveness of the rail system. I suspect there could be a rail pressure problem. Aside from injectors, as JK mentioned, a weak high-pressure pump or failing FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) can each cause rail pressure problems.

Jim

leolkfrm
05-01-2010, 13:21
check to make sure all the wires at the harness connections are pushed in all the way! mine did the same thing, one or the wires in the 25 pin connector had pulled out enough to break the connection but not enough to see.
I believe it was caused by the changing if injectors 60000mi earlier!

woodhog
05-04-2010, 17:30
I got the truck back from the dealer today. The fuel line from the tank was sucking air. There was also, a good amount of water in the filter.
Runs like it should now.

Thanks for all the replies.