PDA

View Full Version : Changed filter no pwer

Dave Brooks
04-18-2010, 17:27
Hi Guys'
I have an 88 6.2 dually. I changed the fuel filter as soon as I got it since I did not know when it had been last. It had seemed to runlike it was getting air in it some how. I thought the bleed screws were leaking so I replaced them. It runs ok when it is cold. When it gets up to temp it losses all power. It idles ok but feels like the throttle cable is not hooked up. Any ideas?

Robyn
04-19-2010, 07:19
Any blue smoke from the tail pipes??

What you are describing with OK cold but no power hot could be that the Injection pump is just plain worn out.

Air will cause stalling, surging and such but if the rig runs OK cold then its not likely air.

You can dump a gallon of just plain 30wt motor oil in the fuel tank and mix it with some diesel (gallon of oil to maybe 15/20 gallons fuel) this will thicken the mix and if the IP is just worn out will make things better.

If the oil helps then it confirms that the IP is worn out.

Home many miles on the clock ???
Original engine ??
Original IP ??

If this truck is a recent aquisition, a compression test is in Order.
If the compression is all within the range of 320-400 PSI on all cylinders your good to go.

A fresh Injection pump and a set of injectors will without doubt make the little critter run like new again.

100,000 miles is about the limits on the fuel system before they start the decline.

This is also dependant on what sort of care has been taken of things.

Let us Know

Missy

Dave Brooks
04-24-2010, 19:02
No smoke from the tail pipes,what has me puzzeled is the fact I picked up the truck drove fine until I changed the filter. 154,000 on the clock.I'll try to do a compression check tommorrrow if the weather holds. I am not shure if it is the original engine,seems to be.

JohnC
04-25-2010, 09:05
Check the filter(s) again. I'm not familiar with the early filter setup, but I think there are 2 filters. Maybe your maintenance freed something up to plug the second one? Plugged filters are the #1 cause of sudden low power.

Dave Brooks
05-24-2010, 16:55
Sorrry for the late rply. Thanks for the suggestion. I only have the model80 fuel filter the truck is an 88. I will try it this weekend.

NetBSD
05-25-2010, 07:43
make sure all three rubber orings are on the filter and you didnt double stack one, this will cause you to suck air but might let it idle fine

Dave Brooks
05-31-2010, 09:45
Checked the filter today. No extra o rings from the old filter.Dose anyone make house calls in the levittown pa area?