PDA

View Full Version : AfterMarket Remote Door Opener - ??

MTTwister
12-27-2004, 14:17
Has anybody ever retro-fitted a remote Power Door Lock module ( 3rd party, not OEM) to one of these outfits ( '96 specific would really be nice). Not looking at a remote starter, or necessarly too many bells and whistles, just to unlock the doors.

Mfg / source of module? ( Like JCWhitney el-cheapo)
Installation Problems you've run into?
Things to look out for?
Worth doing in the 1st place?

Thanks guys (and gals) Happy New Year to all.

norm
12-27-2004, 15:51
I installed a JCWhitney version on my '89 Suburban about 8 years ago, and it still works great. The burb already had power locks, but no remote. It was very easy to install, not one problem, the fobs work from a good distance and their batteries last a long time... I'm not sure who made it for JCW, but the quality seems good. Definitely worth doing - my wife's regular ride and she probably has not used her door key since I put that in - very convenient.

If your '96 has power locks it will probably be easy, if not I couldn't say.

MTTwister
12-27-2004, 16:52
Thanks Norm - Yep I do have the Power locks. Just looking at the remote opener. Might go 1 up from the basic cheapie - but don't know why - don't care if the horn honks or the lights flash, and no trunk to open, eiher. But the cheapie only comes with 1 fob - and I can see the problems there. Got 2, never lose the 1.