PDA

View Full Version : Cummins input needed - Suburban is NOT for sale! :)

Big Red Suburban
04-25-2005, 06:20
The suburban is running great and is NOT for sale smile.gif , however I'm in the market for a dodge pickup with a cummins and a stick. Can anyone offer any experience with which model of cummins is the most easily modified (I've heard 12 valve?), most reliable, etc. Just looking for information to help my search on finding a truck. Not planning on towing alot, just need a work truck...with that nice idle ;)

Any experience or places to find information?

Andy Chesek
04-25-2005, 06:59
'89 - '93 years were the old body style Rams and not intercooled. I think they also had 1 big battery (like, 1850 CCA) from factory. 12V mechanical injection.

'94 - early '98 years: Newer body style trucks. Intercooled from factory. 12V mechanical with the legendary P7100 pump. Beware the Killer Dowel Pin. Dodge's version of the NV4500 tends to lose 5th gear, fix available. But for $300 or so you can put 300 HP and 700 lb-ft torque down at the rear wheels with one of these puppies... Front axle is iffy due to its CAD (central axle disconnect). Early '98 is considered the Holy Grail of Rams because you could get a quad cab (extended cab with the 2 suicide doors for the rear bench), the 12V engine, and the updated interior.

'98.5 - on: Went to 24V engine with electronic fuel injection pump. Lift pump failures are common, and their fuel injection pumps don't take it as well as the 6.5's, and they're more expensive to replace. 2001.5 year they introduced rear wheel disc brakes. Early 6-speed trannies are junk (bad syncro's), later NV5600 is great.

Newest Rams: Common Rail (a la Duramax), NV5600 was just replaced by a piece of junk and everyone's getting in a tiff about it. Oh yeah, Dodge makes automatics, too. You can get leather seats and a manual tranny with a Ram... can't do that with GM (but you want a work truck).

You can get a kit to bolt a NV5600 behind a 12V, expensive though. Would be a most killer setup.

mrussell
04-25-2005, 10:27
89-93 are intercooled and are pretty fool proof mechanically. 4x4 has the gear driven transfer case, only one with it....Not many around though.

Big Red Suburban
04-25-2005, 11:40
I've been looking at the 12V cummins (94 to early 98). I'm trying to find one that already has the KDP fixed as well as the 5th gear nut issue taken care of. A relative is trying to convince me that the 24V cummins is much better because it is electronically controlled? Is there any benefit to this newer design engine other than emissions? (Nebraska doesn't require emissions testing BTW)

Diesel Dan
04-25-2005, 15:31
The '89-91 were non-intercooled, the '91.5-93 were intercooled. The '89-90 had larger body injectors that made the head more pron to cracking. I had one with 160K+ on it with no problems, might have been a issue with the non-intercooled versions running hotter.

The 12V would be a lot simpler install, less wiring to deal with. The 24V would run nicer in the cold, IMO, and remote starters could be used.

Since your not going for max HP then either would work. If you want an auto DTT, ATS, suncoast etc make some very tough units, some gauranteed for unlimited HP. They aren't cheap, but neither is a modified allison.

Big Red Suburban
04-25-2005, 19:30
I don't want to install the cummins in the suburban (that's what I tell myself anyways ;) ), I am actually buying a complete dodge pickup for a work truck.

I would like to up the power of the engine as well, so ease of modifying is a big factor in choosing a truck. The "don't fix it if it aint't broke" saying doesn't apply to me.

Should I consider trucks with over 200,000 miles? Obviously, the rest of the truck has more wear, but engine wise, would you shy away from a truck with this many miles?

DChristie
04-28-2005, 03:39
Good morning!

I had the '98 12v 4x4 (auto) I loved it. and want another Dodge. Funding has conspired against me, so I wait and save my pennies.

I wouldn't shy away from a truck with that many miles, but I wouldn't pay top dollar for it either.

My recomendation is the 24v. You will deinitely feel and like the difference in the 24v throttle response, if you go that way. I would buy another 12v but that would not be my first choice.

I can only comment on the auto's and you stated you don't want one of them. My trans never gave me any trouble, however, it also never "felt" right either. mushy and sloppy, inconsistant shift points.

I understand that the fixes for the lost fifth gear were very reliable. So I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these trucks.

Hope this helps

Don