PDA

View Full Version : Does the stock exhaust crossover fit a pre 91 K series truck? (k5 Blazer)

fullsizeBlazer
04-13-2010, 04:49
Hey guys,

my new engine ('98 6.5 TD) is scheduled to arrive by the end of the next week (I want to put it into my 1985 K5 Blazer) and I still have following question.

-does the stock crossover pipe fit without modifications? I have 700r4 auto trans so there is no clutch slave cylinder in the truck that may be problematic but I just do not know right now if a stock mainfold will it my truck.

Thanks again for your help!

Greetings

Flo

Robyn
04-13-2010, 07:55
The crossover should work fine. The issue comes with the location of the turbo.

An older Blazer,Burb or pickup (OLD body style 73-91 on Burbs and Blazers or 73 to 87 on Pickups) will have issues with the turbo and the AC box trying to ocupy the same space.

If you dont have AC your in fair shape. The other issue is that the downpipe off the Turbo will drop right into the frame.

This is easily fixed by modifying the downpipe to go outside the frame and then down and around and around and back an ???? depending on how you want to do it.

I have seen several 6.5TD's stuffed into older trucks and they work great.

I have seen a few that the owners modified the AC box or installed a unit from an S10 pickup.

Another popular fix was to use the Banks Turbo Kits that fit this model truck.
Performance is very good with the Banks kit.

You should not encounter any issues that can't be quickly worked around.

The 6.5 will physically bolt right into the truck. The 6.5 is identical in almost all areas to the 6.2 engine that was available when your truck was new.

Take lots of piccy's so we can see how its going. :D

Remember, your 98 engine will likely have a DS series electronic IP
The fuel lines to the injectors are different than those used on a DB2.

92-93 6.5 engines had the DB2 and the lines will be fine.

Late 6.2 engines of 90 and later should work as the heads and the injector angle were changed by this time to the same as the 6.5.

Older 6.2's had longer injectors and the angle in the head was different.
This factor makes the line unusuable for a TD application.

Have fun

Robyn

fullsizeBlazer
04-13-2010, 09:59
Robyn:

You are the man! :D:D THANKS AGAIN!

I already knew about the issues with the AC box and already made some plans on modifying it/throwing it out ...

->Concerning the electronic pump,I'm gonna throw it out and replace it with a DB2 -4911 & spring loaded waste gate.

I think it this engine might turn out pretty sweet! :cool:

Thanks again and greetings

Flo

JohnC
04-13-2010, 12:50
Robyn:

You are the man! :D:D
Flo

OK, Robyn, the man, and Flo... :confused:

fullsizeBlazer
04-13-2010, 13:51
Sorry,

do not want to leave room for any misinterpretations :D maybe I should have checked my English before.
What I wanted to say was something like:

Robyn for president :cool::cool: :rolleyes:

Robyn
04-13-2010, 14:43
Just a little heads up.

Here is a Piccy of
"Missy Robyn"

Yup Yup 6 foot tall lanky Blonde with blue eyes and loves diesels.

Missy

fullsizeBlazer
04-14-2010, 06:14
:D:D:D Oh no,
now i got it, sorry! Just didn't expect that there's any woman on earth interested in Chevy Diesels! ... and I didn't expect that woman to know more about Chevy Diesels than most of the guys I have met in some GM Diesel-relatet forums in the internet. :D

Greetings from Germany (feeling a bit dumb right now)

Flo

JohnC
04-14-2010, 14:21
There's still room for more embarrassment. Here in the US, "Flo" usually means "Florence". There was "Flo and Eddy", but that one may still be up in the air... ;)

a5150nut
04-14-2010, 20:26
Not only does Missy know diesels and gas motors, wait till she talks about guns! Just don't ask about electronics and all those little features to save us from ourselves.:eek: