PDA

View Full Version : Going Nuts (metric that is)

rameye
04-03-2010, 04:38
Just uncrated my new AM General 6.5, went to put it on the stand on uh -oh..the threads are metric....OK got that covered with a quick trip to hardware store 10..x1.5 pitch.

Starting checking around the new block...all the holes are metric!

Anybody recall if the old blocks are all metric thread, or is this puppy gonna fight me all the way??

Thanks for the help...pics to follow.

rogers
04-03-2010, 08:30
I believe that all the bolts on the 6.5 are metric, except the bellhousing bolts/studs. On the bellhousing studs the engine side is sae and the tranny side is metric.

oilburnertoo
04-03-2010, 14:21
Bellhousing bolts and motor mount bolts are metric on the AMG blocks. IIRC all other bolts will work off your old engine. You can reuse your intake bolts as they are metric. I always use new bolts in the exhaust manifolds and they metric.[m-10 X 1.5 X 40mm long and 65mm long]. There used to be a bolt kit available from GM that had all the bolts you would need that were changed to metric,I dont know if it is still available. The older GM blocks used a combination of metric and standard bolts. The last GM crate engines went to metric bellhousing and motor mount bolts around 1999/2000, just before GM sold the rights to Navastar/AMG.

rameye
04-04-2010, 14:21
Ok thanks as always...

doesnt sound so bad after all...

just wanted to be prepared